Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

9 months and weight issues

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:47 AM
  • 32 Replies

My son is going to be 10 months on the 12 of july. We had his 9 month well check today and he is only 17 pounds he was 16.8 or 16.7 at his new patient visit he was about 8.5 months then. Well she told me he is in the 3 percentil for his weight and until today has been in the 50-25 depending on the month. It worries me because his pee diapers have slowed down a lot and I asked her if that could be why and she asked if he still ate a lot and I said yes every 3-5 hours plus food when he wants it. She then checked his bladder and said he isnt retaining fluid so I wouldnt worry. But after she checked his bladder she questioned me for about 5 minutes of how and what and when he ate. I felt like she thought I wasnt feeding him enough. I am worried they will label him failure to thrive and try to push formula on us since this is a new doctor. I never had this problem with my duaghter she was always in the 95percentile until she was 16 months old. Any advise or help would be greatly appriciated. I have to go back in ten days becasue he ended up having a ear infection and they want to see if he doesnt gain any by then reweigh him at a month and then discuss what is next. Im not sure what she ment by what is next.

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Madisonsmommy1
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:58 AM
My daughter is 10 months n she is 14.3 she's small but my kids are small. I wouldn't worry to much about his weight unless he starts having health problems. Mine just had an ear infection 3 weeks ago. I would not worry about giving him formula. I will honestly say I tried it once a day for a wk n seen no difference so I stopped n threw out the formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:02 AM
My ff dd was 16.8# at a year. Rerun his #s on another chart and see what you come up with. He sounds plenty big to me.
katiesing
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I have never used formula and never plan on it unless I adopted a baby or something. I am a very passionate about breastfeeding.  He is so active I think thats why he has slowed down but it scared me how she said we will discuss it more if he needs a month weight check. They did that to my nephew and he had to do all kinds of tests and stuff he is two almost 3 and probably weighs 25-28 pounds and in 35 inches tall. I think my son will be built similar becaue they have the same body type if you look at them. 

katiesing
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I will its just so funny how kids can be different my daughter was like 22-23 pounds at 9 months from what I remeber without puling her baby book out.

Quoting angevil53:

My ff dd was 16.8# at a year. Rerun his #s on another chart and see what you come up with. He sounds plenty big to me.

Madisonsmommy1
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:14 AM
My son is 3 n he's 25lbs

Quoting katiesing:

I have never used formula and never plan on it unless I adopted a baby or something. I am a very passionate about breastfeeding.  He is so active I think thats why he has slowed down but it scared me how she said we will discuss it more if he needs a month weight check. They did that to my nephew and he had to do all kinds of tests and stuff he is two almost 3 and probably weighs 25-28 pounds and in 35 inches tall. I think my son will be built similar becaue they have the same body type if you look at them. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiesing
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Hmmm thats odd then I wonder why they made him do those tests. She didnt go into much detail just that he didnt gain like they wanted. He looks very healthy just skinny. But I guess I never realized how big my daughter was 2 in april and is 30 pounds but she is healthy looking not overweight in any way. I was built like her as a child and am now 5"3 and somewhere between 120-125. My husband was like our son and he is 5"6 and weighs 145-150 so we arent very tall people.

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

My son is 3 n he's 25lbs

Quoting katiesing:

Madisonsmommy1
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:26 AM
They did do blood work to make sure everything was normal which it was. My 10 month old is the smallest so far. My 6 yr old is 45 lbs soiled, shes my soccer player. My 3 yr has been the same weight for a while. A few months back he went through the stage of not eating n lost a few lbs but he has since gained the 2 lbs back n eats now but not the way I want him to. He picks. He use to love veggies n meat now he will not touch veggies at all. Hubby n I are short people. My husband is only 145 he's 5'6
Quoting katiesing:

Hmmm thats odd then I wonder why they made him do those tests. She didnt go into much detail just that he didnt gain like they wanted. He looks very healthy just skinny. But I guess I never realized how big my daughter was 2 in april and is 30 pounds but she is healthy looking not overweight in any way. I was built like her as a child and am now 5"3 and somewhere between 120-125. My husband was like our son and he is 5"6 and weighs 145-150 so we arent very tall people.

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

My son is 3 n he's 25lbs

Quoting katiesing:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiesing
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Yea well thats good he started eating again atleast. Can you sneak veggies in with his food? I put peas sometimes in with her mash potatoes and kind of mush them. She sometimes notices and wont eat them but other times she will.

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

They did do blood work to make sure everything was normal which it was. My 10 month old is the smallest so far. My 6 yr old is 45 lbs soiled, shes my soccer player. My 3 yr has been the same weight for a while. A few months back he went through the stage of not eating n lost a few lbs but he has since gained the 2 lbs back n eats now but not the way I want him to. He picks. He use to love veggies n meat now he will not touch veggies at all. Hubby n I are short people. My husband is only 145 he's 5'6
Quoting katiesing:

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

My son is 3 n he's 25lbs

Quoting katiesing:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Quoting katiesing:

My son is going to be 10 months on the 12 of july.

And on that date we expect him to be ten pounds heavier than his birth weight.

We had his 9 month well check today and he is only 17 pounds

That's not an only. But it IS only a number when I don't have a background of weight. Reading on...

he was 16.8 or 16.7 at his new patient visit he was about 8.5 months then. Well she told me he is in the 3 percentil for his weight

Beware doctors who look at percentiles. Weight percentiles don't mean much. Normal breastfed babies drop down and even off the charts.

and until today has been in the 50-25 depending on the month. It worries me because his pee diapers have slowed down a lot

Define the slowdown. How many changes per day?

and I asked her if that could be why and she asked if he still ate a lot and I said yes every 3-5 hours plus food when he wants it. She then checked his bladder and said he isnt retaining fluid so I wouldnt worry. But after she checked his bladder she questioned me for about 5 minutes of how and what and when he ate. I felt like she thought I wasnt feeding him enough. I am worried they will label him failure to thrive and try to push formula on us since this is a new doctor. I never had this problem with my duaghter she was always in the 95percentile until she was 16 months old. Any advise or help would be greatly appriciated. I have to go back in ten days becasue he ended up having a ear infection and they want to see if he doesnt gain any by then reweigh him at a month and then discuss what is next. Im not sure what she ment by what is next.

I don't know enough at this point. So here is info I need you to provide:

Weight history. Please let us know if more than one scale was in use for the weights, and when solids were introduced.

I also want to know if he's nursing before or after solids (after is correct procedure; solids are less caloric).

Need this info to be helpful.

Madisonsmommy1
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Tried that. My son is the pickiest person I know. I don't even buy junk food anymore thinking if he didn't see snacks he would want to eat veggies nope that didn't work. Like doctors have told me he won't go hungry. When we eat I make him what we are having if he doesn't eat when we eat I leave his plate there n most of time he will come back n eat a little.

Quoting katiesing:

Yea well thats good he started eating again atleast. Can you sneak veggies in with his food? I put peas sometimes in with her mash potatoes and kind of mush them. She sometimes notices and wont eat them but other times she will.

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

Quoting katiesing:

Quoting Madisonsmommy1:

My son is 3 n he's 25lbs

Quoting katiesing:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN