Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Big Fat Baby makes One Bad Mama!!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 71 Replies
1 mom liked this

My first dd is 5 weeks old. I had a csection at 39wks, and she was 7lbs4oz and 19.5 inches. I have been ebf on demand, and at her one month checkup she was 10lbs14oz! That's 3lbs10oz gain in a month, and she was 21 inches. I was proud my baby was getting so big, but since then have heard nothing but underhanded insults about overfeeding my big fat dd. People call her chubby, (which there are times I call her my little chunkers, but that's because I think she's adorable with her little round belly) they look at me like I'm doing something wrong. My mother said to just let her cry between feedings, that she's too dependant on me. I think that sounds like a load of horse shit, so I'm posting here in hopes that ebfing on demand is still the right thing to do.

I eat only healthy fats and foods, am 5'5" and 126lbs. Dh is 6'1" and 170lbs, so we aren't heavy, if that makes any difference.

Here is my pretty baby passed out after nursing.

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM
10 moms liked this
Don't let her cry. If ppl have something nasty to say tell them to mind their own business
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM
4 moms liked this
Continue to nurse on demand! Babies need us to comfort them...don't let her cry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopeandglory53
by Amy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM
7 moms liked this

OMG that sounds like MY baby. And you know what my doctor said (after I confirmed that I was still ebf), "I like seeing happy, healthy, FAT breastfed babies". Keep at it, Momma, you are still doing the right thing :) Sometimes babies are just meant to be chunkers ;)

MissGore
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

That's how I feel, she's waaaay too young to be self reliant! We aren't turtles that abandon eggs in the sand. Besides, even crying for the moments it takes me to get to her, if she gets frantic she'll cough and spit up while I nurse. I don't want an unhappy baby.

Quoting lillybug222:

Continue to nurse on demand! Babies need us to comfort them...don't let her cry.

MissGore
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

That's awesome! Dh is military, so I have assigned doctors, and mine just gave me a funny look like she didn't believe me.

Quoting hopeandglory53:

OMG that sounds like MY baby. And you know what my doctor said (after I confirmed that I was still ebf), "I like seeing happy, healthy, FAT breastfed babies". Keep at it, Momma, you are still doing the right thing :) Sometimes babies are just meant to be chunkers ;)

Mamabear010
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Is it even possible to overfed a breastfed baby? I don't think it is. I guess maybe if you were bottle feeding her and forcing her to finish the bottle like some do with formula but if she is nursing, I'm pretty sure it's not possible since she is going off of her own body ques.

Anyway, FROM NOW ON by decree of this mama who had a skinny string bean baby, you MOST take all "chunky" or "big" comments as a compliment and declare that you love how chunky your baby is!

hopeandglory53
by Amy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is military too, and the doctor I had for her is INCREDIBLE. We just saw him for the last time at her 6 month, though :( He's getting out of the Air Force and going Army reserve so he can stay in the area. (BTW, he looks, and acts, just like Drew Carrey, LOL.) We've been at Ellsworth now for 11 years, and so far, he's been the BEST pedi assigned here!

Quoting MissGore:

That's awesome! Dh is military, so I have assigned doctors, and mine just gave me a funny look like she didn't believe me.

Quoting hopeandglory53:

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
My DS was born at 7.10 lbs. At 2 months he was 14.2 lbs! Doctor was very happy with that. He will even out with his weight. At 1 mine is 22 lbs even. You cannot over feed a breast fed baby. He is cute cute cute.
ttparks
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
That's wonderful! Seriously, if anyone has any underhanded comments, just laugh it off. If my mother had anything to say, I'd tell her she had her opportunity to feed and raise her kids as she wishes. Feed baby on demand. Once she starts moving (crawling, etc), you'll see the chub start to go awy. Enjoy it! And, for the record, remind folks that a skinny baby would probably creep people out.
Koux
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM
4 moms liked this
They're just jealous you have a cute squishy baby with lovable rolls! :) seriously, you're doing amazingly well, you should be so proud. Don't let the naysayers bother you. They would be giving you the same glances and rude comments if your baby was "too skinny" (whatever that means). Every baby is different, they all gain weight at different rates and in different ways, no matter what or how theyre fed. youre doing everything right, Don't let them get to you! Put your "mommy earplugs" in and do what you instincts tell you! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)