Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I was judged today...

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 24 Replies
For not nursing in public. Its becoming more mainstream, I think, for moms to feed in public, and at least in my area, people are *generally* supportive.

Okay, so here's what happened. DH and I went to the at&t store after running a few other errands, and my newborn woke up to eat while we were there. I told DH that in was going to take the keys and go sit in the car to feed her.

There was this woman standing not to far away that got angry over it! She told me that people like me are the reason that women get judged for NIP, and that I should stop being such a prude and feed my baby.

I was so mad! My DD is 8 days old, and we are working on correcting a latch issue and an overactive letdown. Most of the time when she feeds she pulls off every few minutes to keep from getting overwhelmed (fortunately, the anger has stopped, that was mostly gas).

I'm uncomfortable NIP at the moment because with her issues she knocks off every cover I have put on, and I'm not comfortable without.

I didn't know how to respond to the woman. I'm not a prude, and I'm not the kind to judge anyone else for how they choose to feed, weather they NIP or in private. I just grabbed my keys and my baby and walked out.
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow! That's different. Most are judged if they DO nip.
Once you get the over active letdown calmed down, try using the two shirt method. It's much easier and cooler than using a cover.
gumeshoe
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I can see why you don't want to NIP at this time. Kinda crazy to get crap over it. Sorry bout that. I would not have known what to say to her either! If anything she discouraged you to NIP because she is judgemental without knowing the facts.

LilliansMama27
by Candy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I completely understand. Trying to NIP with OAL is so annyoing. I avoided it at first for the same reason, but it's gotten better now. Just ignore her. It would get to me too and I'm sure I wouldn't have the strength to bite my tongue as you did. If it was me now I probably would have said "Unless you want me to squirt you, I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself." *grin*

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

hopeandglory53
by Amy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I would have said, "Look lady, she's a newborn and still learning how to latch on, and while we're still learning together, I'd rather not show off my nipples to the entire world, so back off!" LOL

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're seeking privacy for your own comfort, then people should respect that. It's not like you were shunned to nurse in a bathroom by a bunch of complaining shoppers. I understand what was going through her head, but crap! She doesn't want breastfeeding moms to get judged but thought it was ok to judge you?! That's not the way to support a new breastfeeding mom. :-(
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM
That's quite odd. You're working on your issues, I'm sure in a few weeks you won't even consider hiding out in your car. I try to hide occasionally too, but it's more to keep him from getting distracted by everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM

WOW that was rude..personally if I am not in a comfy place to sit and nurse then my car is comfy I will go there..and I a mNOT afraid to NIP at all

destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM
It sucks you have to worry no matter what you do now. Ugh. I'm not comfortable nip bc my son likes to take breaks to breathe extra or smile at me.
emmy526
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

i woulda told her to fuck off...

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I am with her. Sometimes being short and blunt is the way to go

Quoting emmy526:

i woulda told her to fuck off...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)