Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Engorged!!!

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:08 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have been feeding Kaden almost every hour and a half. But say I sleep a lil more than 2hrs I become engorged AGAIN!!!. It takes HOURS to empty my breast again only for the cycle to continue. WTH? I just got milk in about 3days ago and the pain is excruciating. I hand express, put baby to breast, hot showers, cold packs, even lettuce leaves on the breast. I'm exhausted! I almost gave up and gave him formula because my breast hurt so bad. I need HELP. I dont want to give up so soon but I need relief. sometimes he won't wake up for about 4hrs to eat and its killing me. he literally just ate, and my breast are already hardening again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:24 AM
The first few weeks are hard like that. Just express enough to release pressure and nurse on demand. Your body needs to realize its not your job to feed the whole village, just one baby. Switching to formula now won't make it better, it could make it worse since you wouldn't be removing milk at all then.
lilyrose2011
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:27 AM
The first weeks are the hardest to deal with engorgment. They are trying to establish a eating schedule and will eventually stop filling up so much. If its to bad get a towel or if you want to save it breast milk bags and sit there and hand express milk out just enough that they arnt so engorged. It will get better really soon. Just have to be patient :)
Nolanzo
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations... you're a cow :D

I'm kidding... and very sympathetic. The first three weeks are very hard mama. I know it hurts badly... it WILL get better. DD is almost 3 months and I'm still dealing with it... my pump is my best friend. I'm just a milk machine, and it sounds like you are too...

I know hearing this patience stuff doesn't help you much right now... to be honest, I would wake him a little more often if you can, since he'll be getting out of that 'sleeping for 4 hours' habit really quickly and pretty soon you'll have him on you 24/7 anyway. I had to do this with DD in the beginning because the engorgement was torture... she was a jaundice baby and they tend to act like Rumplestiltskin... very hard to rouse and meanwhile I'm leaking everywhere and in agony.

Hope you feel better soon. Try getting him up every three instead of four and pump to relieve pressure in between... you're on your way to smooth sailing, and good job for sticking it out so far and not giving up. You can do it!!!!!!
SendMeBabyDust
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:09 AM
I feel like a cow!! the amount that I have hand, I repeat HAND EXPRESSED into a bowl is a ridiculously large amount. well in my opinion anyways. I need a pump and will be getting one SOON. I try to wake him but he literally will NOT wake until he wants. I'll strip him, mess with his feet, tickle behind the ears, anything and EVERYTHING to wake him and nothing. I was so desperate today, I walked him nursing through the groceries store! patience does nothing for me right now but I'm willing to have some for now lol. and have you tried the lettuce trick?

Quoting Nolanzo:

I'm kidding... and very sympathetic. The first three weeks are very hard mama. I know it hurts badly... it WILL get better. DD is almost 3 months and I'm still dealing with it... my pump is my best friend. I'm just a milk machine, and it sounds like you are too...

I know hearing this patience stuff doesn't help you much right now... to be honest, I would wake him a little more often if you can, since he'll be getting out of that 'sleeping for 4 hours' habit really quickly and pretty soon you'll have him on you 24/7 anyway. I had to do this with DD in the beginning because the engorgement was torture... she was a jaundice baby and they tend to act like Rumplestiltskin... very hard to rouse and meanwhile I'm leaking everywhere and in agony.

Hope you feel better soon. Try getting him up every three instead of four and pump to relieve pressure in between... you're on your way to smooth sailing, and good job for sticking it out so far and not giving up. You can do it!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:12 AM
a towel?? what does a towel do????

Quoting lilyrose2011:

The first weeks are the hardest to deal with engorgment. They are trying to establish a eating schedule and will eventually stop filling up so much. If its to bad get a towel or if you want to save it breast milk bags and sit there and hand express milk out just enough that they arnt so engorged. It will get better really soon. Just have to be patient :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM
I won't switch.. I just need some kind of relief!!!

Quoting shortyali:

The first few weeks are hard like that. Just express enough to release pressure and nurse on demand. Your body needs to realize its not your job to feed the whole village, just one baby. Switching to formula now won't make it better, it could make it worse since you wouldn't be removing milk at all then.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilyrose2011
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Just soaks up the milk if you don't save it haha

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

a towel?? what does a towel do????

Quoting lilyrose2011:

Nolanzo
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Oh yes, I went through a whole head of cabbage in the second week. I had a c section, and even then, my milk was fully in within 48 hours.

I am a human with bovine DNA embedded in my boobs! Teehee

Some women are just natural milk-makers... I try to see it as a blessing when so many others have a hard time with supply issues... and then, when we're on the other side of the fence (or pasture LOL!) we feel as though oversupply is just as torturous as undersupply... and it can be.

I used the first couple weeks to pump excess milk (and I was literally pumping 30+ ounces per 24 hours open TOP of what DD was eating on her own) to build up a big stash of frozen, for when I return to work. But I couldn't do it without a high quality double electric pump... the manual Medela does not empty me and I'd still be hurting afterward, even though it helped.

I use a Medela Pump In Style, and its wonderful!!!! Which, by the way, was provided at no cost to me by WIC. I don't know if you qualify but its so worth it to try. We never went for WIC because I feed myself just fine and never needed it (or qualified for it either) but when I went on maternity disability our income was cut in half and we did qualify temporarily, so voila! So that's another option.

They have the manual Harmony that they can give you as well. Its pretty effective.

And if you have a hard time getting there or to a store or just can't for whatever reason, I have an extra I'd be willing to mail you. Just to relieve the pressure.

Hope this helps, and good luck mama. Again, I'm proud your not giving up! ;)

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

I feel like a cow!! the amount that I have hand, I repeat HAND EXPRESSED into a bowl is a ridiculously large amount. well in my opinion anyways. I need a pump and will be getting one SOON. I try to wake him but he literally will NOT wake until he wants. I'll strip him, mess with his feet, tickle behind the ears, anything and EVERYTHING to wake him and nothing. I was so desperate today, I walked him nursing through the groceries store! patience does nothing for me right now but I'm willing to have some for now lol. and have you tried the lettuce trick?

Quoting Nolanzo:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM
It's normal mama, I promise it will pass soon! Keep hand expressing *just* enough to feel some relief, expressing too much will just signal your body to make more mill while will cause even more oversupply and engorgement. Hang in there mama!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Using a pump right now may feel good at the moment, but that is just telling your body to make MORE milk so you will be "filling up" even more. It will think you are feeding twins or triplets! Not really such a good thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)