Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Thicker poop???

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

My Lily is almost 4 months old and suddenly her poop has been on the thicker side like a paste. She is EBF so no solids of any kind. Is this normal??

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aandie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Is she going less often? My dds thickened up when she went less frequently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopeandglory53
by Amy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

That young, I don't remember any of mine having that. Has it been a while since she pooped, or does she still do it every day? Is it still bright yellow/orange breastfed poop?

I know when my oldest was around 6 months old (still mostly breastfed, she wouldn't take solids from a spoon, but she would have the occasional bite), I had gone to visit my family, and she didn't have a poop the entire time we were there. On the way home, I kid you not, we stopped by a gas station for a potty break before hopping on the interstate, and that kid pooped paste for at least half an hour.

sweet_ashes2209
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yes she used to go many times a day but now it's about every other day to 2 days between.

Quoting Aandie:

Is she going less often? My dds thickened up when she went less frequently.

sweet_ashes2209
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM

It's still the right color just thick like past and I'm used to it being the kind of runny with those small chunks She doesn't have any bites of food yet so that's why I'm like is this normal??.

Quoting hopeandglory53:

That young, I don't remember any of mine having that. Has it been a while since she pooped, or does she still do it every day? Is it still bright yellow/orange breastfed poop?

I know when my oldest was around 6 months old (still mostly breastfed, she wouldn't take solids from a spoon, but she would have the occasional bite), I had gone to visit my family, and she didn't have a poop the entire time we were there. On the way home, I kid you not, we stopped by a gas station for a potty break before hopping on the interstate, and that kid pooped paste for at least half an hour.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Could also be thicker because there's less water in it because it's so hot out and baby is sweating some of that water out. But if memory serves my babies' poop got less seedy then less watery as time went on.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is normal, usually about this time its seen

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Normal :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_ashes2209
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I'm not going out it's to hot lol I live in Texas. Thanks it's been over 4 years since my oldest was a baby so I couldn't remember.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Could also be thicker because there's less water in it because it's so hot out and baby is sweating some of that water out. But if memory serves my babies' poop got less seedy then less watery as time went on.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Normal. As long as it's not super hard or pellet like it's fine.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I heard its even hot in Alaska. But yeah, I always remember being a bit shocked that the poop turned to something like peanut butter when nothing changed yet in baby's diet. Did you ever think you'd become such s poop detective?!?

Quoting sweet_ashes2209:

I'm not going out it's to hot lol I live in Texas. Thanks it's been over 4 years since my oldest was a baby so I couldn't remember.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)