Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it possible to not respond to a pump all of the sudden?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM
  • 9 Replies
With my daughter, I was able to pump 30+ oz a day and I was looking forward to that this time around. I am 4 days postpartum and fully engorged and not even getting more than a couple drops. Literally just a few drops. :( I don't know what to do. I'm putting my son to the breast frequently also. What can I do?
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Congrats on your newbie!!! :)
However this early in the game with normal engorgement you shouldn't be pumping.
Your body is engorged because it didn't know if you had one baby or three.
If it's extreme hand express only to take the edge off. Do not try to empty your breast as that will only make matters worse.
You do not want to create an oversupply that can cause alot of complications for you and baby.
You could try pumping one side while baby nurses on the other. Once again this is only to take the edge off (like .5oz) if your needing to return to work at about 4 weeks start pumping one side while baby nurses on the other every morning to build a proper pump response. You'll only need a min of 8oz max of 20oz if your returning to a 8hr shift.
angevil53
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Yes with my ds i would pump three 6oz bottles before i got tired and gave up.

This time i get the normal 1-2oz.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM

At four days if you get anything it's pretty good. Normal output at the pump is half an ounce to two ounces TOTAL per session. So either you were pumping a LOT or you were one of those lactating goddesses. It;s usual for it to change.

Just keep baby on the breast. Unless you're going back to work soon you don't need to pump.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I wouldn't even fool with a pump at this point
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Just nurse your baby and don't worry about the pump. That's the best thing you can do. 

twogirl91
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

My body doesn't respond very well to a pump. I have a hard time relaxing and getting my milk to letdown. 

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I am 7 months in and this time around I get (if I am lucky) one oz when pumping.  I have EBF though for 7 months.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

emkirkley
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM

sometimes replacing the tubing will fix the problem...hand express if you aren't satisfied with the pump for right now.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I agree with above, I ordered all new parts with the second and then my output improved at lot. I think my "membranes" were not working right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN