Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think breastfeeding is making me depressed :(

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM
  • 32 Replies
Don't get me wrong, I love breastfeeding, it's something I want to do for as long as baby will nurse. It's all the trouble I've had with it this time around that I feel is constantly making me feel sad or like I'm failing at it at least. When I talk to SO about it, he makes me feel like I'm overreacting. Even when I have discussed it with close friends and family, they tell me it's not a big deal. Maybe you ladies understand?

From day one I've had issues with breastfeeding this time around. Baby had an awful latch that led to sore and cracked nipples. It wasn't long after that when we realized that baby wasnt gaining enough weight, then I found out I had OAL which was causing the baby to get gassy plus a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Baby still wasn't gaining through all of this so I had to supplement with formula a couple of times until we knew for sure it wasn't my supply and soon after found out that baby has a weak suck. She went to OT, her suck has improved, seems to be ok for the most part but I keep continuously worrying about my supply. My pumping output has dropped and now I don't wake up in the middle of the night or even the morning with my breasts feeling full like I used to. Baby's diaper count is still adequate, aside from the fact that she hasn't pooped in two days but I know that can be normal by this age. It's probably all in my head but I'm constantly stressed and worried when it comes to breastfeeding. I don't even know how I've managed to stick through it for as long as I have (baby is 12 weeks old). It didn't help that last week she went through those couple of days of fighting and refusing the breast. Its just been one thing after another, back to back.

I guess I just really need to vent about this because nobody else understands me. I want to breastfeed so badly and it's been so hard this time. I don't know why. I'm doing everything right and it's still so hard. Ugh :(
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this
((hugs)) your doing great!
If your having a hard time emotionally there are medications approved for depression while bf.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I know exactly how you feel. You feel like you need a break that maybe, just,maybe one bottle won't hurt and you'll feel relief off your shoulders. Stress will effect your supply. Dear its easier breastfeeding than anything Else. Lot more problems using formula. I dealt with a lot. Constipation, fussiness, sensitivity, washing bottles, nasty formula smell,, adjusting nipples. Heating bottle up, testing temp,.much more. You need to relax. Go to spa for couple hours. I feel same way but as soon as i think of health benefits and see her smile when she's nursing, it's all worth it. Im tired, boobs hurt, she had thrush, ptt, ult, she refuses to tell me all time when she hungry still, weight gain issues, more. That all worth going over again than using Formula. Ur doing great.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this
My sons four months and we don't pump at all unless I want a break. Pumping def adds more stress. And breastfeeding is really hard only because no one else can help do it. I'm starting to feel a little moody lately too but that because I do everything all day everyday. Formula seems easier but its really not with the washing bottles, getting up all the time. Ugh. You just gotta remember its not forever and its best for the baby.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
You are not alone mom! Many moms feel similar feelings. You are doing such an important thing, providing nourishment for your lo! From you post I see that you have had many bumps to overcome! How is lo doing with her suck? Is it improving?

Come talk to the ladies in here about your feelings, they will understand and support you! You are doing an amazing job! You said lo's diapers are doing fine which means she taking in enough! That's great!

If your feelings get overwhelming please talk to your dr! He/she can help! Big hugs mom!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting maliya0608:

From day one I've had issues with breastfeeding this time around. Baby had an awful latch that led to sore and cracked nipples. It wasn't long after that when we realized that baby wasnt gaining enough weight, then I found out I had OAL which was causing the baby to get gassy plus a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Baby still wasn't gaining through all of this so I had to supplement with formula a couple of times until we knew for sure it wasn't my supply and soon after found out that baby has a weak suck. She went to OT, her suck has improved, seems to be ok for the most part
And that's what counts.
but I keep continuously worrying about my supply. My pumping output has dropped
It's supposed to.
and now I don't wake up in the middle of the night or even the morning with my breasts feeling full like I used to.
That's also perfect. Full = BAD. Forget what you "know" because what's good in breastfeeding defies logic.
Baby's diaper count is still adequate,
That's all that counts.
aside from the fact that she hasn't pooped in two days
Doesn't matter.
but I know that can be normal by this age. It's probably all in my head
It is. **grin** You are currently TEXTBOOK PERFECT.
but I'm constantly stressed and worried when it comes to breastfeeding. I don't even know how I've managed to stick through it for as long as I have (baby is 12 weeks old). It didn't help that last week she went through those couple of days of fighting and refusing the breast. Its just been one thing after another, back to back.

I guess I just really need to vent about this because nobody else understands me. I want to breastfeed so badly and it's been so hard this time. I don't know why. I'm doing everything right and it's still so hard. Ugh :(

It's OK. I hated breastfeeding for 26 months. I had a start that makes yours look like a picnic! But I never worried about my supply ever; the dipes tell the tale. I simply DID NOT LIKE IT because I';d had so much trouble in the beginning.

And it's OK to not like it. I suspect you are on that bench with me and a lot of other women, but don't realize it yet, and that in itself can cause depression. We put breastfeeding in the same category with mopping the floor and cleaning the toilet. We don't like it but it's gotta be done.

Nothing wrong with disliking it.

There's nothing to be worried about with baby here. Except the college fund.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Yup i feel same. It's a love/hate relationship

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting maliya0608:

From day one I've had issues with breastfeeding this time around. Baby had an awful latch that led to sore and cracked nipples. It wasn't long after that when we realized that baby wasnt gaining enough weight, then I found out I had OAL which was causing the baby to get gassy plus a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Baby still wasn't gaining through all of this so I had to supplement with formula a couple of times until we knew for sure it wasn't my supply and soon after found out that baby has a weak suck. She went to OT, her suck has improved, seems to be ok for the most part
And that's what counts.
but I keep continuously worrying about my supply. My pumping output has dropped
It's supposed to.
and now I don't wake up in the middle of the night or even the morning with my breasts feeling full like I used to.
That's also perfect. Full = BAD. Forget what you "know" because what's good in breastfeeding defies logic.
Baby's diaper count is still adequate,
That's all that counts.
aside from the fact that she hasn't pooped in two days
Doesn't matter.
but I know that can be normal by this age. It's probably all in my head
It is. **grin** You are currently TEXTBOOK PERFECT.
but I'm constantly stressed and worried when it comes to breastfeeding. I don't even know how I've managed to stick through it for as long as I have (baby is 12 weeks old). It didn't help that last week she went through those couple of days of fighting and refusing the breast. Its just been one thing after another, back to back.

It's OK. I hated breastfeeding for 26 months. I had a start that makes yours look like a picnic! But I never worried about my supply ever; the dipes tell the tale. I simply DID NOT LIKE IT because I';d had so much trouble in the beginning.

And it's OK to not like it. I suspect you are on that bench with me and a lot of other women, but don't realize it yet, and that in itself can cause depression. We put breastfeeding in the same category with mopping the floor and cleaning the toilet. We don't like it but it's gotta be done.

Nothing wrong with disliking it.

There's nothing to be worried about with baby here. Except the college fund.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
You're not alone! I don't like it either. But it's about her and not me ;) you're doing great.
cp428
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You are definitely not alone. I had a lot of issues this time around that stressed me out, and while things have improved,I still don't enjoy breastfeeding and probably never will. I hated the whole 13-14 months that I nursed my daughter too, but i do it anyway because it's what's best for them. Hang in there!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs!
shajdinyak
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM
There is an actual condition I had when I breastfed both my girls. Can't remember what it is called,but I would get overcome by sadness every time,they latches. You could probably google it. Not sure if that is what it is for u!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)