Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Alicia Silverstone starts a vegan breastmilk sharing service

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 30 Replies

I just saw on GMA that Alicia Silverstone has started a breastmilk sharing service for vegans.

What do you think? According to the show, the breastmilk isn't tested-which they seemed to have a big issue with. The doctor did say that breastmilk sharing is much better than using formula though but that it should be tested for disease prior to being shared.

Would you want to use a stranger's breastmilk that wasn't tested if you couldn't breastfeed?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I would rather them be tested first. Especially vegans. It's really easy to become malnourished if you don't eat properly. I knew a vegetarian who miscarried because her idea of being vegetarian was eating cheese pizza and popcorn.

Yeah, that's a good point.  Your body will take the good stuff and put it in the milk before it uses it for you, but what happens when there's no more "good stuff" to take?

And honestly, why should the baby be "vegan"?  It's in quotation marks because whatever mom did or didn't eat, her milk is still just milk.  Unless baby has a reaction to something (which means some random PROTEIN), there's no reason to change your diet to nurse.

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this

How do you know that was her reason for miscarrying?  

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I would rather them be tested first. Especially vegans. It's really easy to become malnourished if you don't eat properly. I knew a vegetarian who miscarried because her idea of being vegetarian was eating cheese pizza and popcorn.

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

As for the OP, I'd be hesitant to accept the vegan claim but it's very common on human milk for human babies (a breastmilk sharing site) to have posts ranging from "gluten free" to "vegan" to "soy/dairy free" and then mine "no dietary restrictions."  

Mothers who have difficulty with production accept donations.   If I was unable to produce enough, I'd certainly consider doner milk. 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I think it's awesome!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
What "diseases" are people exactly worried about with donor milk? I know the risks of formula. In just the past couple years we have seen powdered formula contaminated with bacteria and melamine, and the bug parts. I don't feel like digging into the data now, just trying to see the realistic risks of donor milk and realistic risks of formula.
ninastone
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

In the video clip they say "viruses like HIV, hepatitis... bacteria like syphilis."

Quoting mostlymaydays:

What "diseases" are people exactly worried about with donor milk? I know the risks of formula. In just the past couple years we have seen powdered formula contaminated with bacteria and melamine, and the bug parts. I don't feel like digging into the data now, just trying to see the realistic risks of donor milk and realistic risks of formula.

ninastone
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/alicia-silverstone-starts-breast-milk-134331165.html 

Clicky link to the news clip about it.

I think it is cool, but I wouldn't want vegan breastmilk because of the worries of malnutrition. I am not, however, a vegan so I wouldn't care about that anyway. I probably wouldn't want a "stranger"'s milk that was not tested.  I certainly would accept milk from a donor without having it tested though, if I had to chance to talk to them and ask them about their medical history.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Honestly with milk sharing you're not getting paid for the milk you give away. I wouldn't be worried about diseases that would make my little one sick because there would be no reason for a woman with HIV (for example) to consider sharing milk without the financial gain.
I think the vegan aspect is silly, but I'm not vegan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I would prefer tested breastmilk
WLJ2316
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Umm...no.

Vegans produce quality breastmilk just like non-vegans. Researchers have even done testing to compare breastmilk of women with an average diet to very malnourished women in Africa and found that the breastmilk quality was very similar and in some cases identical. The body will go to great lengths to ensure the nutrition of the baby.

If a woman is producing enough and healthy enough to be nursing her own baby AND donating her milk in excess, then it's EXTREMELY unlikely, if not almost impossible, that the milk is of poor quality. Vegan or not.

Quoting ShadowLark:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Yeah, that's a good point.  Your body will take the good stuff and put it in the milk before it uses it for you, but what happens when there's no more "good stuff" to take?

And honestly, why should the baby be "vegan"?  It's in quotation marks because whatever mom did or didn't eat, her milk is still just milk.  Unless baby has a reaction to something (which means some random PROTEIN), there's no reason to change your diet to nurse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN