Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preventing thrush....

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 19 Replies

STUPID STUPID THRUSH!!! 22.5 months of BFing and this is like the 5th time we've had thrush and it doesn't ever seem to bother DS, but it is excruciating to nurse, he is nursing like a newborn and being 7 months pregnant does NOT help the situation. My areolas are red and blistered, I just want to give up (I am NOT going to though!)

What could I be doing wrong that we get thrush so often?!? I do need to up my fluid intake, I have not been keeping up well with that for the past week or so, but normally (and all the other times we've had thrush) I'm on top of drowning myself with H2O.

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Have you tried taking probiotics daily?
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yes. Not helping...it only helps if I actually have thrush and crush up the tablets and make a little paste to put on my nipples..... :-(

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Have you tried taking probiotics daily?

armywife2408
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Not sure how to prevent it but grapefruit seed extract helps with the pain for me.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Thanks, I'll have to try that!

Quoting armywife2408:

Not sure how to prevent it but grapefruit seed extract helps with the pain for me.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Any other ideas?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Is there anything in the kellymom.com article that you haven't tried? Does he have any teething rings or things he chews that might be a source of reinfection?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Does he have it in his mouth?  Are you sure it's thrush this time and not related to your pregnancy?  Maybe your supply took a dip and it's affecting the way he is nursing??

I agree about the GFS extract.  You can also use white distilled vinegar.  And make sure that you let your nipples completely air dry before putting your bra back on.  It may also be worth it to treat your bras (or cloth breast pads).  Regular washing will not typically kill yeast.  You can wash a load of clothes in about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of TTO and that should kill it.

CafeMom Tickers

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Nope, not that I can think of. And the only things that go in his mouth are boobs and food, lol.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Is there anything in the kellymom.com article that you haven't tried? Does he have any teething rings or things he chews that might be a source of reinfection?

ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Have you tried a candida cleanse? It makes me think that if this is a recurring problem, you may have an internal yeast overgrowth that isn't being treated.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
It may be something else... DS is showing no signs at all, but my nipples look the same as they have every other time we had thrush. I don't think it's my supply though...I leak colostrum everywhere and DS barely gets any other liquids aside from nursing and he pees A LOT:-) It could be pregnancy related or something else, just feels "thrushy." IDK...all I know is it's annoying and it HURTS!

I've tried vinegar and it doesn't seem to help. :-( And at the risk of sounding unintelligent, what is TTO? Lol.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Does he have it in his mouth?  Are you sure it's thrush this time and not related to your pregnancy?  Maybe your supply took a dip and it's affecting the way he is nursing??

I agree about the GFS extract.  You can also use white distilled vinegar.  And make sure that you let your nipples completely air dry before putting your bra back on.  It may also be worth it to treat your bras (or cloth breast pads).  Regular washing will not typically kill yeast.  You can wash a load of clothes in about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of TTO and that should kill it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)