Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Comfort Nursing - Driving me CRAZY!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello ladies, I am new to the group but I'm a veteran breastfeeder. I breastfed my first daughter for 18 months which is when I found out I was pregnant with my now newborn second daughter. She is almost 4 weeks old. 

I mainly just need to vent. I love most aspects of breastfeeding and I am not going to give up on it, especially since I know it gets easier down the road. But I can say... I do understand why some women choose to switch to formula.

I have an over-supply which makes things difficult ... it's hard for her to handle the flow (she chokes and swallows lots of air), makes wearing clothes kind of pointless (they get soaked no matter what I do), and I leave horribly cold wet spots wherever I go (why does breastmilk get so freaking cold so fast?!) Fun fun! But, I know it's better than the alternative...not having enough milk. 

My main gripe is my newborn's need to comfort nurse all the time! It seems like I don't get much of a break. When she nurses to actually EAT I love it - it's relieving and feels like I am accomplishing something. When she nurses just to chew and nibble and use me as a human pacifier, it drives me a little crazy. Sometimes a lot crazy. I feel like punching a pillow crazy. It's almost like I am forced to sit/lie there and let her chew on my nipples, which is this horrible itchy/raw sensation. It feels , at times, extremely violating. If I pull her off the boob, she screams so I have to let her. Sometimes this goes on all day long, with  maybe 10-15 minute breaks in between. I feel badly for feeling bad about this, I know she needs the comfort and I want to be that for her. I wish just holding her were enough! Some days are worse than others...

I've tried giving her a pacifier but she just spits it out. She won't take my pinky finger either. Only wants the real deal :-/ hoping this gets better really soon...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand. I stopped telling people it would pass...im 22 months in..and she comfort nurses 1000000 times a day. Hugs...
Emilytrademark
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I remember my first daughter doing this some when she became a toddler and mainly nursed for comfort instead of milk... then she would switch from one boob back to the other and it drove me nuts!! I was a little relieved when she weaned herself when I became pregnant (I assume my milk changed?) anyway. I am really worried that I won't enjoy BFing as much this time around if she doesn't stop. :(

Hope yours gets better! Though at 22 months there isn't much hope lol :)

Quoting moroccanmommy:

I understand. I stopped telling people it would pass...im 22 months in..and she comfort nurses 1000000 times a day. Hugs...

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Oh yeah the switch till mom is batty. She goes from side to side..mine..mine..mine..lol...oh lawd

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I remember my first daughter doing this some when she became a toddler and mainly nursed for comfort instead of milk... then she would switch from one boob back to the other and it drove me nuts!! I was a little relieved when she weaned herself when I became pregnant (I assume my milk changed?) anyway. I am really worried that I won't enjoy BFing as much this time around if she doesn't stop. :(

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Emilytrademark
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Yeah my DH used to laugh when she did that and I would explode with a "DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW THIS FEELS?!"  kind of threat ..

simple smile

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Oh yeah the switch till mom is batty. She goes from side to side..mine..mine..mine..lol...oh lawd

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I have an over-supply which makes things difficult ... it's hard for her to handle the flow (she chokes and swallows lots of air), makes wearing clothes kind of pointless (they get soaked no matter what I do), and I leave horribly cold wet spots wherever I go (why does breastmilk get so freaking cold so fast?!) Fun fun! But, I know it's better than the alternative...not having enough milk. 

Have you been using reclined nursing and block feeding to get the oversupply under control? Good info here: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

My main gripe is my newborn's need to comfort nurse all the time!

A lot of that will be related to the letdown. Get that under control and the rest will start resolving itself.

It seems like I don't get much of a break.

Heh heh... you know that goes with the job description, right? **grin**

When she nurses to actually EAT I love it - it's relieving and feels like I am accomplishing something. When she nurses just to chew and nibble and use me as a human pacifier,

No such thing. Pacifiers are mom replacement devices. DO NOT ALLOW CHEWING. Chewing ends a session instantly. 

it drives me a little crazy. Sometimes a lot crazy. I feel like punching a pillow crazy. It's almost like I am forced to sit/lie there and let her chew on my nipples, which is this horrible itchy/raw sensation.

DO NOT LET HER CHEW. Put her down the instant she starts. It's the only way to get it to stop. She will get the message; cause and effect is the first thing we learn.

It feels , at times, extremely violating. If I pull her off the boob, she screams so I have to let her.

No, you don't. Really, you don't. Since this isn't your first rodeo, you know there will be times when you have to make her unhappy in the interest of raising a responsible healthy adult. This is one of them.

Sometimes this goes on all day long, with  maybe 10-15 minute breaks in between. I feel badly for feeling bad about this, I know she needs the comfort and I want to be that for her. I wish just holding her were enough! Some days are worse than others...

Don't feel bad. Really. You're allowed to dislike elements or even ALL of breastfeeding. I hated it for 26 months!

I've tried giving her a pacifier but she just spits it out.She won't take my pinky finger either. Only wants the real deal :-/ hoping this gets better really soon...

Mine also refused pacifiers. I didn't have the chewing problem but did have a pulling problem... as in hair. Until I got it cut, I used the "put him down" approach. He didn't like it. But he stopped pulling! (I cut it to make life easier, not because of the pulling.)

Remember, short term pain for long term gain. The short term pain is a little screaming. The long term gain is the end of the chewing and Mommy Abuse.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I feel the same way. There were times I was ready to quit bc of comfort nursing. My iPhone saved us. Distraction was the only thing that helped. And going after a couple couch pillows
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)