Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hashimoto's and breastfeeding....

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:55 AM
  • 20 Replies

We're waiting on bloodwork but more than likely, I have it. my thyroid isnt making enough of one hormone, and they found a nodule on the right side of my thyroid. the bloodwork we're waiting on is checking for antibody TG. I'll need to be on medication, but Im not sure which ones yet. Does anyone else have this and also have a successful nursing relationship? I have a friend who was diagnosed with Graves Disease, and she had to stop nursing because of the medication she needed to take. I dont know much about Hashimotos yet-anyone else have any details for me? TIA.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
schultzal
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM
My good friend has it and breastfeeds. I don't know any more details than that. I hope you're able to get it sorted out and get well soon. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

thank you! I hope so too. Its good to know that others have it and can BF. I dont want to stop!

Quoting schultzal:

My good friend has it and breastfeeds. I don't know any more details than that. I hope you're able to get it sorted out and get well soon. :)

jeniprice
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had it for 15 years. I take synthroid every day. I've been breastfeeding Malcolm for 9 weeks. You'll have a harder time nursing WITHOUT the medication!! I ran out of my meds and went without for 3 days. My supply took a huge hit. The first pill I took and a few hours later my supply went back up!! I was trying to figure out why my supply all of a sudden went down. It was crazy! Anyway, take the meds. They're absolutely safe for breastfeeding. Trust me, if you don't take the meds, you'll feel like crap 24/7!! Hope this eases your mind a little. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I have it, I take Synthroid, and I am nursing my baby.  

amc103
by Alli on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Cool! Thanks ladies! This makes me feel much better! I cant wait to get on the medication...Ive been feeling terrible. Its only getting worse. :-( Did any of you have nodules on your thyroid along with it?

jeniprice
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup. Nodules and a goiter. Fun stuff! LOL!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
More too...Lol

Quoting jeniprice:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The reality is that having it and not treating would be a cause for issues.  Proper treatment of thyroid disorders is what you need to do for breastfeeding.  You will likely be prescribed synthroid and it is very safe with breastfeeding.  I would encourage you to do 2 things...first have an endocrinologist and not a family doctor handle this and second would be to request brand name synthroid as this is one of the few meds where brand name makes a difference.

You shouldn't have any issues related to your thyroid if properly treated...you could have issues if not treated.

amc103
by Alli on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Any concern of cancer with them? And what the heck is a goiter? LOL! Sounds awful! :-)

Quoting jeniprice:

amc103
by Alli on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

thank you! Its great to know. My OBGYN was the one who referred me to the endocrinologist and the endocrinologist is the one who ordered further bloodwork. (my OBGYN was the one who spotted my hypothyroidism in the initial bloodwork) The endocrinologist is also the one who did the USG of my thyroid and found the nodule. Im not sure about Synthroid...I will ask her about it. I live in Poland so brands are not always the same. :-( Is there any other brand that would do the same thing that you could recomend? Just in case? Thank you so much for this info! :-)

Quoting IrishIz:

The reality is that having it and not treating would be a cause for issues.  Proper treatment of thyroid disorders is what you need to do for breastfeeding.  You will likely be prescribed synthroid and it is very safe with breastfeeding.  I would encourage you to do 2 things...first have an endocrinologist and not a family doctor handle this and second would be to request brand name synthroid as this is one of the few meds where brand name makes a difference.

You shouldn't have any issues related to your thyroid if properly treated...you could have issues if not treated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)