Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BLW moms - playing with food?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 26 Replies

Mobile Photo

So my DS will be 6 months old in 10 days.

He can sit unassisted, he just lost his tongue thrust reflux and can pick things up with his fingers an put food to his mouth.
But I'm not quite ready to let him actually eat food yet. I don't think he's ready.

But he's interested.

Yesterday I was eating raw carrots and he stole one!

I let him play with it thinking he wouldn't get it to his mouth, but he did.

So today I set him in the high chair and let him play with the carrots. He banged them together. He chewed on them. He seemed to enjoy it.

He didn't actually get any bites, but I think it felt good on his teeth to chew on the hard carrots.

My question is, is it okay?

Have I ruined his virgin gut? I mean he didn't actually get bites of the food maybe a little juice.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Carrot juice isn't breastmilk, so yes virgin gut is gone but at this close to 6 months it may be closed already and not as big of a concern
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM
:'(

So should I not let him do it anymore?

every time I eat around him, he grabs for my food?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Carrot juice isn't breastmilk, so yes virgin gut is gone but at this close to 6 months it may be closed already and not as big of a concern

amc103
by Alli on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Im not an expert, so someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think its good! If he's the one leading on the solids, its okay, right? Isnt that what BLS is? OPer, if he seems happy, why not? He's 6 months, showing signs of interest, doesnt have the tounge thrust. I think it might be a good way for you to introduce maybe not the food, but the fact that food is fun and good! :-) KWIM?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting K8wizzo:

ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Kind of, but he's not actually 6 months.

Quoting amc103:

Im not an expert, so someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think its good! If he's the one leading on the solids, its okay, right? Isnt that what BLS is? OPer, if he seems happy, why not? He's 6 months, showing signs of interest, doesnt have the tounge thrust. I think it might be a good way for you to introduce maybe not the food, but the fact that food is fun and good! :-) KWIM?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking.

I would not have even given him any food if he didn't take it from me first.

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM
But he will be on the 13th.

Quoting ceckyl:

Kind of, but he's not actually 6 months.

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
So cute, perfectly fine! :)
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I wouldn't worry if it were me. :)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it! You have done a wonderful job!:)
shell.bell
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM
My first child had teeth at 4 months and she would pull food off anyones plate at meal time and eat it no problem. We didn't offer it to her. My third at 6 months or so stole my steak off my plate and ate the whole thing. Babies tell you what they want.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)