Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ULT and speech delay?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

Can anyone point me toward resources that show an ULT might influence speech delay?  (Visiting a speech therapist soon and want to be armed with some info...).

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a speech language pathologist and I've never seen research/resources that show ULT influences speech delay.  The upper lip is not one of the articulators that is used to make most sounds, maybe the b/p/m sounds could be affected, but that's really the only ones I could expect to see an issue with and only because they are "bilabials" or "two lip" sounds.  Honestly in all my classes and when I was working, I never came across ULT as a physiologcial issue that caused a speech delay.

How old is your little one? What are the concerns? Go in with an open mind, the younger you get treatment the better the outcome and often the less time that speech is needed. I wouldn't think you need to be "armed"- most SLPs are out to fight for the best interests of your child.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I'm not sure, but DS just had his ULT lasered about 3 weeks ago and now he is talking up a storm, so I definitely think they're related!
LilliansMama27
by Candy on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Was your LO checked for ULT as well as PTT? Most of the time they go hand and hand. And PTT can cause speech problems if severe enough (and other problems as well).
GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Quoting Smokeygirl:

I am a speech language pathologist and I've never seen research/resources that show ULT influences speech delay.  The upper lip is not one of the articulators that is used to make most sounds, maybe the b/p/m sounds could be affected, but that's really the only ones I could expect to see an issue with and only because they are "bilabials" or "two lip" sounds.  Honestly in all my classes and when I was working, I never came across ULT as a physiologcial issue that caused a speech delay.

How old is your little one? What are the concerns? Go in with an open mind, the younger you get treatment the better the outcome and often the less time that speech is needed. I wouldn't think you need to be "armed"- most SLPs are out to fight for the best interests of your child.

I suppose the research isn't being done...after all, where's the money in it for Modern Medicine?  :)

I've heard other SLP's indicate that articulation and fluency are certainly altered by an ULT--as are breathing patterns.  To this I would question if it causes an altered breathing pattern, etc. how could speech NOT be influenced...

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Quoting GoodyBrook:

Good luck :) as I said, I've never seen it, but I haven't seen everything :) most of my kids were non-verbal severely autistic or had CP.
ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

My daughter has a severe ULT, and her speech has always been great.  If anything I can see it affecting articulation, but not delaying speech.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN