Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help, my child doesn't let me sleep!

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 21 Replies
My son will be 5 months next week and still gets me up a ton at night. Sometimes 5 times in 7 hrs. By the time I feed and change him all those times I end up getting no sleep. He only nurses one side at a time at night and doesn't burp or wake up after. What can I do to get him to eat on the other side so maybe he'll sleep longer? I'm completely exhausted all the time! Add this to the no nap trend he had going and I am one unhappy mama.
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this
If being wet does not bother him don't change him. I find that if I change my son in the middle of the night it just wakes him up farther and takes him a lot longer to go back to sleep. And him only taking one side is normal. Your supply is at its highest in the middle of the night and early in the morning. There really is no way to force him to take both sides. And even if he did there is no guarantee he'd sleep longer. Bed sharing is a life saver... but soon he will start sleeping longer periods at night. This too shall pass.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Oooh forgot to add, you can pop over to askdrsears.com. He has some pointers to naturally get a baby to sleep for longer periods at night. Like offering more during the day and "tanking up" before bed time.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Welcome to being a mom! lol
My first slept through the night at 2 weeks old. My second at 2 weeks and then turned around at a month and got back up many times for a few months. My third, and current, is still not sleeping through the night at 2 years old.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
That is just the personality of some kids.
My dd is 15mo and is often up 5 times a night. But lately it's been even more then that because shes cutting molars :/
As a pp mentioned tanking up baby in the evening, offering more during the day can help. Also not changing as often.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I'm not hearing anything too abnormal.  This is motherhood.

Ata night...don't change him unless he poops or he is saturated.  Are you cosleeping or bedsharing?  

What is your night time routine?  

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
That didn't work with my second. He nursed constantly day and night. :-\

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Oooh forgot to add, you can pop over to askdrsears.com. He has some pointers to naturally get a baby to sleep for longer periods at night. Like offering more during the day and "tanking up" before bed time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I agree.

Quoting IrishIz:

I'm not hearing anything too abnormal.  This is motherhood.

Ata night...don't change him unless he poops or he is saturated.  Are you cosleeping or bedsharing?  

What is your night time routine?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Us either. He's one and still wakes 3-4 times a night. Some nights he follows me around the bed rooting while I try to escape lol.

Quoting aehanrahan:

That didn't work with my second. He nursed constantly day and night. :-\

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Are you Co sleeping? Don't bother changing him, just get latched and you both go right backto sleep.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Death, taxes and never every sleeping a full night again... your three guarantees. This all sounds normal and the cure is time.

(Mine's nearly 14 years old... I still don't sleep a full night unless deathly ill. It's ALWAYS something! Kid, Dad, or dog!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)