Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new arrival! with a q....

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 14 Replies

Mobile Photo

This is kian Eugene Burton. Born 7/2 @ 4:16 am, weighing 6#11oz. I was 37 weeks and a day :) he's latching perfectly, my milk came in at the hospital (48 hours stay to make sure he was ok). I bf ds1 and don't remember this beginning engorgement! My boobs have red splotches and are really hard, I'm worried about mastisis so I'm trying to pump enough to relieve the pain. He's barely able to empty enough out to give any sort of relief and when latching I have to squeeze my best down so he can get a full latch. He's not as hungry a my last one.... I've been pumping my left side for 12 minutes, the pain and lumps are still there. I tried to massage them and will be pumping again until I can clear the duct (thinking that's the problem) but I REALLY didn't want to pump this early!!! He's almost 3 days old! My milk isn't completely milKk, it still has a mix of colostrum in it! Babies weight when we left the hospital was 6#7oz. I need some advice... I know cabbage leaves but I'm really worried about these hard spots... Could it just be my glands swollen our is it an actual problem? Ds won't latch atm... He's also had 4 poops today and is done with the beginning gross tar stuff. Now it's green and watery.

Sorry for spelling errors!!
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Please stop pumping. You have a massive oversupply and pumping is just telling your body to make more. It's a vicious cycle. It sounds like you might have mastitis, but I've no experience with that. I hope somebody has more helpful info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summer11baby
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is a week old and I just went through this too. Thank goodness I couldn't find my hand pump because I was going to pump to relieve the pain too but I know that would have made it worse, I was just desperate to relieve the pain. I hand expressed about an ounce out then I stopped. It took about 36 hours of just nursing and no pumping to calm my supply down. Now its regulating and my boobs are soft and not like bowling balls anymore. I know its hard but you just have to fight through it. :( it will get better!
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
The green poop was a red flag for oversupply for me as well.

For relief alternate hot and cold packs.

Try getting in a hot shower and massaging your breast.

If you need to hand express ONLY.

Nurse in a reclined position and try to get him to nurse as often as possible.

But seriously ditch the pump.

Quoting polkaspots:Please stop pumping. You have a massive oversupply and pumping is just telling your body to make more. It's a vicious cycle. It sounds like you might have mastitis, but I've no experience with that. I hope somebody has more helpful info.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I would call a Dr just in case I never had red patches when I was engorged. It could be ab infection. Better to be safe then sorry. And your baby is small and doesn't need as much milk right now. Don't pump.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I agree, ditch the pump for now.
07lilmama1108
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Pump ditched. Just did that one session, it didn't help :(

Quoting polkaspots:

Please stop pumping. You have a massive oversupply and pumping is just telling your body to make more. It's a vicious cycle. It sounds like you might have mastitis, but I've no experience with that. I hope somebody has more helpful info.
07lilmama1108
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Ok, couldn't remember if it was dairy or oversupply. I have been block feeding him all night, really just used one boob except for one feeding to relieve some engorgement. I pumped that one session, didn't help at all. So pump had been put up until I return to work. I had oversupply and oal with ds1 and he seemed a lot hungrier!! I know this baby is getting enough, I'm just shocked at how little seems to be enough!!! I'll try the shower.... I'll try anything really lol thank you!!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

The green poop was a red flag for oversupply for me as well.

Quoting polkaspots:Please stop pumping. You have a massive oversupply and pumping is just telling your body to make more. It's a vicious cycle. It sounds like you might have mastitis, but I've no experience with that. I hope somebody has more helpful info.

sarahtbkh
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

A nice hot shower to relive the pain, if you start to get the chills, cold sweats, body aches or nausea, go straight to the ER. It sounds to me like you have mastitis. I had a mass over supply with my first baby all the way till she was 2 lol!!
The only thing that helped, when she was done breast feeding and I was still full, I would not cover the boob back up, I would take a nursing pad and just spray into it, gently massaging the lumps so that I could empty out without stimulating more milk production. I hope you get some relief!!! Congrats on the new little angel!!!

07lilmama1108
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Thank you!!! Pumping didn't help at all.... So it's a good thing you didn't find yours!! Hopefully I'll level out here soon too... Just gotta get through I guess! Luckily I just did the one pumping session, instead of trying again. Pain is still there but I started block feeding to help regulate...

Quoting summer11baby:

My daughter is a week old and I just went through this too. Thank goodness I couldn't find my hand pump because I was going to pump to relieve the pain too but I know that would have made it worse, I was just desperate to relieve the pain. I hand expressed about an ounce out then I stopped. It took about 36 hours of just nursing and no pumping to calm my supply down. Now its regulating and my boobs are soft and not like bowling balls anymore. I know its hard but you just have to fight through it. :( it will get better!
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Green frothy can indicate dairy, but I would assume oversupply at this point.

Try the ice packs too! You know the ones thy come in the hospital diaper bag? I found those to be perfect!

Quoting 07lilmama1108:Ok, couldn't remember if it was dairy or oversupply. I have been block feeding him all night, really just used one boob except for one feeding to relieve some engorgement. I pumped that one session, didn't help at all. So pump had been put up until I return to work. I had oversupply and oal with ds1 and he seemed a lot hungrier!! I know this baby is getting enough, I'm just shocked at how little seems to be enough!!! I'll try the shower.... I'll try anything really lol thank you!!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:The green poop was a red flag for oversupply for me as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN