Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how soon before she sleeps??

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM
  • 23 Replies
My bean will be 5 months tomorrow and to say I'm exhausted would be a complete understatement!! She block feeds from 9pm - 11pm then she will sleep in her bouncy seat or carseat ONLY! She then wakes up between 2-3am so i bring her to my bed and she nurses for about an hour then she pushes me away and fusses and won't take that side again....which at that point i don't want her to anyways cause my nipple feels raw!! So we switch sides and repeat the same thing. This goes on until 8am when i have to get up with the older kids. This is my 5th baby but since all my others were on formula they we're sleeping thru the night by now. How do i get her to sleep? What can i do to help this nursing relationship last cause i really dont wanna give her formula but i need some sleep!!
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM
There really is no way to force it. She will sleep when she is ready for it. You could try formula, but I wouldn't expect it to help with sleep. It has been my experience that formula only helps if that's what they had from very early on and if that's the only thing used... I tried that route with my youngest and it didn't do a thing for him, but I didn't start trying until he was about 2 months old. I just had to wait for him to be ready to sleep longer. It is actually safer for them to wake up more often as it is a defense against SIDS.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:05 AM
My very best sleeper of four kids hit 5 hour stretches when she was 8 months old. My other kids were nursing through the night until 15-18 months old. That one child of mine is now 7 years and still my best sleeper. My other three (at 12, 10 and 3) still fight sleep and occasionally still wake. *sigh* It happens when it happens. I bed shared to get as much sleep as possible. I think it would be very rough getting up out of bed 4 or 5 times a night. I can tell you that sleep training before a year is cautioned against because it can contribute to problems with weight gain. Giving formula will create a domino effect and your supply will start dropping. Teething and milestones disrupt most babies' sleep and you're probably hitting them both right now, not to mention coming up on a growth spurt.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I cosleep. It saved my sanity, I get eight hours a night and have since he was about two months old. I only get woken up by my three year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Wanted to add that I know plenty of breastfed babies who slept through the night before 3 months. And formula babies who wake through the night past a year old. And plenty of moms here who've done both with different kids will tell you the same thing, that formula isn't the magic bullet. My last baby was by far my most time-consuming baby, ironic since I have less time than ever. :-( I swear it's a defense mechanism, needing mom soooo much, so the others in the pack (siblings) don't pick them off.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM
3 moms liked this
If she gets a bottle, you need to pump for that missed feeding, which doesn't give you much of a break. Waking up is baby's natural defense against SIDS, plus breastmilk is quickly digested. You can try to offer the breast more during the day and encourage clusterfeeding at night before bed, but honestly, they sleep longer when they're ready, mo matter what they're fed. And comparing babies will only drive you more crazy! Also, have you tried a pacifier?
And please please look into the dangers of letting your baby sleep in their carseat. Carseats are for cars. The way baby is sitting in it lowers their oxygen and can cause them to suffocate, many babies have died due to that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Formula doesnt always make them sleep through the night. My first was FF and woke up 3 times a night till he was 10 months old. My second, who is EBF, sleeps MUCH better than his brother, although not through the night, he wakes twice at the most and thats usually during a growth spurt or if his teeth are really bothering him. He sleeps through the night about 40 percent of the time. :-)

Homeschoolmom10
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you had your baby checked for tongue tie or lip tie? You said you feel raw, and your baby is feeding for an hour... Sometimes that can be the cause, because they can't suck enough, leading them to wake very hungry, frustrated, etc. my daughter has both. We fixed tongue, and go Monday to find out about her lip. We cosleep though...so she usually nurses before bed then sleeps cuddles up with me swaddled and will typically sleep for 6-8hrs at night.

Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

family in the vanbreastfeedingteen girlhave a nice day

twogirl91
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My first started sleeping through the night at a year old. My second is 13months and still wakes up 1-2 times a night.Thing that helped me survive was co-sleeping.

pinkfairy0206
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I nursed all 4 of my kids, 3 daughters I had no problems with sleeping,sometimes I.had to wake them up! My son on the other hand just started sleeping through the night he's 2 1/2. He's had a lot of ear problems needs his tonsils and anoids out and is on breathing treatments:( so those r big factors too.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Offering more often through the day may help. We nursed every hour through the day so that we could get 3 hour stretches at night.

Please be careful about having her sleep in the bouncy seat or carseat. Being in them for too long can cause baby's oxygen levels to drop. It's really not a safe situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)