Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should I be worried? *Update

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Cassie is 8 months old and hasn't pooped since thursday afternoon. I know that can be normal with breastfeeding, but she gets solids two or three times a day. Ever since she started eating "people food" (as hubby calls it, lol) she's been a lot more regular with her poops, usually once a day at around 5pm.. Should I be concerned? If not now, how long until I should be?

*Update... We had a POOPSPLOSION, lol. All is well :)

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I wouldn't be worried, but I would give her more foods that promote pooping and avoid grains, bananas, and applesauce which are known constipators. Peaches, plums, prunes, cherries, grapes, and veggies would be on the menu at my house. Cut the grapes and cherries into quatters so that they aren't a choking hazard.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok, thanks. She had a few crackers but that's pretty much the only thing that's not fruit or veggies that she's had the last few days. She does eat banana for breakfast almost every day though, didn't know they were constipators. They're a favorite around here and she gets a little bit whenever someone has one, plus whatever she has for breakfast, so that could be the problem right htere. She had a peach and some grapes today though so hopefully that'll help her get moving :)

Also, glad I'm not the only one that cuts grapes lol, hubby and the family all looked at me like I was a lunatic.. I thought it made sense!

Quoting K8wizzo:

I wouldn't be worried, but I would give her more foods that promote pooping and avoid grains, bananas, and applesauce which are known constipators. Peaches, plums, prunes, cherries, grapes, and veggies would be on the menu at my house. Cut the grapes and cherries into quatters so that they aren't a choking hazard.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
The BRAT diet to slw diarrhea is bananas, applesauce, rice, and toast, so anytime you have the opposite problem you want to take those OUT of the diet. :)

Quoting Zazayam:

Ok, thanks. She had a few crackers but that's pretty much the only thing that's not fruit or veggies that she's had the last few days. She does eat banana for breakfast almost every day though, didn't know they were constipators. They're a favorite around here and she gets a little bit whenever someone has one, plus whatever she has for breakfast, so that could be the problem right htere. She had a peach and some grapes today though so hopefully that'll help her get moving :)

Also, glad I'm not the only one that cuts grapes lol, hubby and the family all looked at me like I was a lunatic.. I thought it made sense!

Quoting K8wizzo:

areyouatroll
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Ya just nurse more before giving solid foods :)
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Not crazy at all! Grapes should be cut in half even for toddlers. They're one of the biggest choking hazards because of the shape and size. I still cut my 2 year olds grapes in half.

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting K8wizzo:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Are you nursing immediately before giving the solids? Your milk is nature's best laxative. I would cut back on the food and nurse more. The food might be thickening the poop to make it harder to pass. If she's still wetting enough, passing gas, and her stomach is not rock hard, she's fine and just not pooping as much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yep, we always nurse right before. She's having plenty of wet diapers and she seems fine, she does poot a bit lol. Belly's nice and soft, it just seems weird. I didn't give her solids last night or yet today, so hopefully we'll see something..

Quoting aehanrahan:

Are you nursing immediately before giving the solids? Your milk is nature's best laxative. I would cut back on the food and nurse more. The amount if food might be thickening the poop to make it harder to pass. If she's still wetting enough, passing gas, and her stomach is not rock hard, she's fine and just not pooping as much.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Just changed the biggest diaper I think I've ever changed.... Hopefully she's worked out whatever that was and we'll get back on schedule, I don't think it sounds like any fun for her if this is going to be her new way of doing things.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Was it normal poop or was it thicker than normal? Her body might be getting used to digesting food other than your milk and the different texture of the poop can be harder to pass for a while.

Quoting Zazayam:

Just changed the biggest diaper I think I've ever changed.... Hopefully she's worked out whatever that was and we'll get back on schedule, I don't think it sounds like any fun for her if this is going to be her new way of doing things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

It was about the same as it has been since we started with more solids, kind of clay-ish but not too thick or hard or anything.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Was it normal poop or was it thicker than normal? Her body might be getting used to digesting food other than your milk and the different texture of the poop can be harder to pass for a while.

Quoting Zazayam:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN