Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pump broken?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok I need some serious help.  I got to work this morning and my pump motor sounds like its dying.  I've been pumping for 30 minutes and I still feel full to bursting.  I still have until 3:30 at work.... And I just don't know what to do.  I tried to hand eexpress but with the amount of milk I produce I'll have to do it literally all day (between the oatmeal and fenugreek I can make 7 ounces in one session).  I also tried that and got it all over me.  

I'm an hour train ride from dd so I can't just nurse her.  

And I know that no one can really help me.... I guess I just needed to share.  

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Check your valves. If they are damaged or not in correctly (from cleaning) this can happen. You will not get suction from the pump. I would keep extra in my pump bag just in case. It happened to me once.

dee2e
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Nope. Not the valves, but thanks for the tip!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Call your pump manufacturer.

If tyou're getting seven ounces a session, time to cut the galactagogues. You're creating oversupply and you don't want to create plugs and mastitis.

dee2e
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I called the manufacturer and they're sending me a new pump!  I should get it tomorrow, so I just have to figure out what to do until then....  Thanks!

SadieJames
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Is there anywhere you could run out and buy a manual? It's nice to have one as a backup anyways.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Why in the world are you taking fenugreek and eating oatmeal? Why is there a need for 7ozs in one session??
dee2e
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Before I began pumping I would produce that much in one sitting.  Dd has no problems associated with oal,  so I'm guessing that's similar to what she eats when nursing.  Now that I've been back at work for two months, I'm not able to keep up with what she's eating at daycare without taking more than 3 pump breaks.  I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not for her.  When I first went back to work I could pump 12 ounces in a sitting... Wouldn't feel engorged or anything, it's just what I made.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

What you pump has zero correlationto what they're getting in a sitting. She may be taking far less. Indeed, if she's gettingmore than 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour in servings of about three ounces, she may be taking too little at the breast and too much at the bottle.And that can lead to real supply problems.

What you pump only reflects how your body responds to the pump.

Quoting dee2e:

Before I began pumping I would produce that much in one sitting.  Dd has no problems associated with oal,  so I'm guessing that's similar to what she eats when nursing.  Now that I've been back at work for two months, I'm not able to keep up with what she's eating at daycare without taking more than 3 pump breaks.  I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not for her.  When I first went back to work I could pump 12 ounces in a sitting... Wouldn't feel engorged or anything, it's just what I made.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN