Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding after reconstruction?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi, im new To the group I'm a first time mom. I just had my son 6/21, i planned to ebf but I don't think I'm doing so hot. My son wasn't pooping n wet diapers were not as frequent as they should have been. I began to supplement with formula...the reason this was suggested was because I had a breast lift and implants done 3 years ago. My question is does anyone know about bf after surgery?? Has anyone been successful? I'm at the end of my rope....please help... Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM

What were the diaper counts and complete weight history please?

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
^^ what she said! Output and weights tell the story about how much lo was taking in.

As far as how successful a mom can be with BFing after any type of Breast surgery depends greatly on how the surgery was preformed. With just the implants if they are placed under the mammary tissue then it shouldn't be an issue. I personally know 3 moms that have had implants like that and ebf. The lift could cause issues if mammary glands were severed.

So it really just depends. I have also worked with moms that were able to bf partially and supplemented some due to low milk supply after reductions. There is hope :)

Tell us more about your situation.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

The count we want at this satage is 6-8 changes per 24 hours. 

You need to check with your surgeon to see if any ducts were cut.

mjclegg26
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Counts were 4 wet diapers on 24 hrs. There was a 2oz weight gain in 4 days. Since supplementation bargain wet diapers or 8 to 10 and poop 1. Weight gain was 7oz in a week.

Quoting SadieJames:

What were the diaper counts and complete weight history please?

mjclegg26
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM
My back story...
I had what is considered total breast reconstruction.... I had a full breast lift in which my nipples were totally repositioned, it was a lollipop incision that goes around the entire nipple and down the center to the base of my breast where silicone implants were placed under the muscle.
I do produce milk though but have a feeling it isn't enough to totally breastfeeding.
Hope that info helps make the situation a lil clearer. :)

Quoting hriabywx4:

^^ what she said! Output and weights tell the story about how much lo was taking in.

As far as how successful a mom can be with BFing after any type of Breast surgery depends greatly on how the surgery was preformed. With just the implants if they are placed under the mammary tissue then it shouldn't be an issue. I personally know 3 moms that have had implants like that and ebf. The lift could cause issues if mammary glands were severed.

So it really just depends. I have also worked with moms that were able to bf partially and supplemented some due to low milk supply after reductions. There is hope :)

Tell us more about your situation.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Also, has your baby been checked for lip or tongue ties? This affects his ability to transfer milk. Was there any time at all where he was on the breast only? Was he fed on demand?
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM

An incision around the nipple would have severed the nerves involved in "let down" and milk ducts as well. I would expect you to have a difficult time producing a full supply after this type of surgery.

Your best bet is to maximize your breastfeeding/breastmilk along with supplementation.

Pump, and use that milk for supplement first, before formula.

Consider supplementing at the breast with a Lact-Aid or SNS instead of with a bottle.

You may be able to limit supplements to later in the day. Milk production is usually highest in the morning, so you may not need to supplement for the first couple of feedings of the day.

Have baby nurse on both breasts at every feeding. Even offer both breasts twice at every feeing if you can!

Ideally, you will contact a local IBCLC who you can work with in person who can help you to determine how much you are making and how much you need to supplement. They can also help to determine if taking herbal supplements or medications might help with your supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)