Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm at wits end.. HELP!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 65 Replies

My daughter has been breast fed for the entire year (she's one now) and i want to start weaning her off so that i can go out for a few hours to relax - without her. I spend 24/7 with her and that hasn't changed since the day she was born.

She refuses to take a bottle. I've tried the wide neck, the standard neck, the Medela bottle, Tommee Tippee, Playtex, EVERY BOTTLE YOU CAN THINK OF!

She fights every time i try to give it to her, whether she's hungry or not. She drinks out of a cup, she drinks with a straw, she'll drink milk from both. BUT SHE WONT TAKE A BOTTLE! She doesn't use a pacifier and to go to sleep it's the sucking motion that gets her to sleep.

I've been so upset about this whole thing. I'm tired, cranky, sad and I've been crying because I feel like everything is just over. I'll never be able to do anything without her and sometimes i just want a few hours by myself.

I really need advice, please help.

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM
She's old enough to be without you. I'd say just go and don't worry about milk. She can drink almond or coconut if needed.
KayyCeeJayy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I mean i know she's old enough, but let's say i wanted to have a girls night out. She breastfeeds to sleep. Then what? Unfortunately, she's not on a set schedule, so I'm not too sure what to do with that.

Quoting BabyPink07:

She's old enough to be without you. I'd say just go and don't worry about milk. She can drink almond or coconut if needed.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I'd just let babysitter deal with it. If I haherds she nurses to sleep if dh has her she goes out no problem. I'm sure they can manage for a night. Or do like an afternoon thing so your home by bedtime.

Quoting KayyCeeJayy:I mean i know she's old enough, but let's say i wanted to have a girls night out. She breastfeeds to sleep. Then what? Unfortunately, she's not on a set schedule, so I'm not too sure what to do with that.Quoting BabyPink07:She's old enough to be without you. I'd say just go and don't worry about milk. She can drink almond or coconut if needed.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't start a bottle after about 8 to 10 months. There just is no point. Leave a cup of water or milk, some solids food, and go out. A baby will do things for others, they won't do for you lol. A large portion of breastfed babies refuse bottles. My kids all got sippys and never bottles. 

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM
This - and just go and enjoy yourself :) she will be ok

Quoting jjchick75:

I wouldn't start a bottle after about 8 to 10 months. There just is no point. Leave a cup of water or milk, some solids food, and go out. A baby will do things for others, they won't do for you lol. A large portion of breastfed babies refuse bottles. My kids all got sippys and never bottles. 

cowgirls10181
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Have you tried a sippy cup? She will eventually drink from it if you hand it and not nurse.
KayyCeeJayy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

She has sippy cups and sometimes those dont even work. If i leave her with my parents, she's alright but then there comes the times where she just wants me. She will eat and drink from a cup or water bottle from them so maybe it wont be as big of an issue as i think.

WildPowerMom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

My son has never taken a bottle.  He only BF.

What we have found were Sports Bottles.  The simple pastic ones with the circle mouths that pop up.  He seems to like those and only likes milk that is warm.  That sounds silly, but my older child would drink milk if it was artic cold or boiling hot.  She just didn't have standards.  My son likes things warm and in sports bottles if it's not from me.

God be with you!  I know EXACTLY what you are going through!  He has eaten off of me for almost every meal.  Now that he eats solids he can survive without me for a few hours, but he wants that milk!  As soon as he sees me he wants it.  He claws my shirt for it and whines.  My FIL refused to watch him until he got to be about 8 months old because if I wasn't in eye sight all Hell broke loose and SCREAMED until I returned.  30 minutes to 2 hours he would just SCREAM.  Only took two times for us to lose our only free babysitters. 

I don't know if you get this, but people told me, "You need to ween him."  I'd retort, "You are welcome to try!  I can't ween him!  He won't take a bottle if my boobs are right there.  Soemone else has to ween him."  No one would!  Didn't have the patience

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Sippy cup; baby's been old enough for it since, oh, birth. **grin**.

And YOU must be GONE. Out of the house entirely. Babies are smart. They won't take a substitute when the good stuff is there.

So hand baby to a caregiver and have your girl's night out. Fair warning: You may want to be home again very shortly. Post-baby, girl's night out often becomes boring!

amc103
by Alli on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this

This. In my opinion, you're in a good situation! She doesnt take bottles, no paci, etc. It will make it harder for the care taker when you do go out, but she might go down easier without you! Just try and see what happens. Go from there! Good luck momma, I know how precious time away from baby is! I applaude you for going this long being with her 24-7! LOL!

Quoting jjchick75:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)