Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you know when your baby needs supplements?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 83 Replies
My baby is almost 10 weeks old. He only weighs about 6-7lbs. The doctor is pushing supplements. I'm beginning to agree, but I've heard on here that it will reduce my supply. I don't want that. I love cuddling and seeing his little face suckling. The pedi made him an appointment to see a GI on the 17th. This is his weight history:
Birth- 6lbs even
Left the hospital- 5lbs 12oz
2 weeks- 5lbs 9oz
4 weeks- 5lbs 5oz
5 weeks- 5lbs 13oz
7 weeks- 6lbs 5oz
8 weeks- 6lbs even

He was born at 35 weeks so he's had a slow start. He nurses like a champ, and my DH feels that he's just not eating often enough. What should I do? My 10 week old is still in size newborn clothes. None of my previous 5 stayed this small for this long, and they were formula fed. How often should he be fed?
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

well, his adjusted age is only 5 weeks old.....sooo....technically he is still a newborn....even though he is 10 weeks old.......

he should have 6 wet/poopy diapers a day.  a poop is anything quarter sized or bigger.   

some of the other ladies know a bit better than i do- and they can tell you how much the expected loss/gain is. i don't want to give misinformation......

Momof5kids84
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I cloth diaper. He has about 10 wet diapers. He only poops every two or three days though. :/

Quoting happymommy1105:

well, his adjusted age is only 5 weeks old.....sooo....technically he is still a newborn....even though he is 10 weeks old.......

he should have 6 wet/poopy diapers a day.  a poop is anything quarter sized or bigger.   

some of the other ladies know a bit better than i do- and they can tell you how much the expected loss/gain is. i don't want to give misinformation......

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Send the older kids to grandma's. Get into bed with baby and nurse every time he wiggles. This is a nursing vacation. At night make sure he eats at least every two hours. It's not really concerning that at eight weeks he's not having two poops a day. Are all of the weights on the same scale in the same amount of clothing? And yes supplementing will cause a drop in supply. If supplements are necessary your own pumped milk is always best.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Nurse him as often as he wiggles. Nurse one one side until he comes off, burp and offer the other. Do not time feedings or the frequency unless he goes over three hours in the daytime. Watch the diaper count--6-8 in 24 hours, extra wet or poopy counts as two. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make. And I second the nursing holiday!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Momof5kids84
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Yes, it's the same scale, but the new nurse that they have is very nonchalant so I don't really think that my son dropped weight between week 7 and 8.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Send the older kids to grandma's. Get into bed with baby and nurse every time he wiggles. This is a nursing vacation. At night make sure he eats at least every two hours. It's not really concerning that at eight weeks he's not having two poops a day. Are all of the weights on the same scale in the same amount of clothing? And yes supplementing will cause a drop in supply. If supplements are necessary your own pumped milk is always best.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
next time if you think she is wrong make her do it again or do it yourself. This one nurse named Peaches at our office keeps saying my kid is shrinking with her measurements!

Quoting Momof5kids84:

Yes, it's the same scale, but the new nurse that they have is very nonchalant so I don't really think that my son dropped weight between week 7 and 8.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM
5 moms liked this

A baby who is only at his birth weight is well below normal. The only thing that makes me feel just a tiny bit that this might be okay is the fact that your formula fed babies were the same way.

Even not looking at the week 8 weight I'm very concerned. I really think you need to meet with an IBCLC to evaluate both you and baby for milk supply issues and see if baby has an effective latch/suck.

How many times a day should baby eat? Enough to keep them gaining weight on track. If baby is not nursing effectively then increasing nursing times will not help much. 

Please get together with an IBCLC! Meanwhile, I'd suggest you nurse as much as possible and begin pumping and supplementing with your milk.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

A baby who is only at his birth weight is well below normal. The only thing that makes me feel just a tiny bit that this might be okay is the fact that your formula fed babies were the same way.

Even not looking at the week 8 weight I'm very concerned. I really think you need to meet with an IBCLC to evaluate both you and baby for milk supply issues and see if baby has an effective latch/suck.

How many times a day should baby eat? Enough to keep them gaining weight on track. If baby is not nursing effectively then increasing nursing times will not help much. 

Please get together with an IBCLC! Meanwhile, I'd suggest you nurse as much as possible and begin pumping and supplementing with your milk.

happymommy1105
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM

i cloth diaper too.  

it makes no difference in how many times you should change a diaper.  

hmmm.....i know some babies go up to 30 days without pooping if they are breastfed, but i'm not sure if that is when they are bit older.  

i don't want to give you misinformation- that's my main concern- there are definitely ladies here much more knowledgable than me! they have great FACTS! one of the reasons, i love this group so much!

Quoting Momof5kids84:

I cloth diaper. He has about 10 wet diapers. He only poops every two or three days though. :/

Quoting happymommy1105:

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM

one quick question.  were all these weights taken on the same scale?

keep nursing, nursing, nursing!!  and I agree with maggiemom, look into an IBCLC!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)