Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hospital pumping and milk supply

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
On dhs phone and i hate typing on this thing so thisll be pretty to the point. Ds2 was admitted to hosp today for open heart surgery. Cant do the surgery till he puts on more weight and hes breathing too fast to nurse so hes getting breastmilk thru a tube. When ds1 was in the nicu and oi had to pump the supply dried up and they said it was probably because i was pumping and not nursing. And ive already had a nurse get on me for not producing enough.

How can i increase supply to get him what he needs and how can i better the odds against drying up while hes unable to nurse? Thanks ladies!
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM
OK... eat some oatmeal (real steel cut oats), take fenugreek, you can try power pumping (ten minutes on, ten off repeated for an hour), also when you pump try to be close to your baby or keep a picture, make sure you pump every two hours for fifteen to twenty minutes day and night with a quality pump. Since you're in the hospital they should be able to provide you with a hospital grade pump. After the milk stops dropping try to do some compressions to really make sure you get the last of the fatty milk out. If you do start drying up you can try domperidome (sp) or reglan to bring back your supply, but it should take months, not days to dry up even if you weren't pumping. Especially since I'm guessing you have an established supply. How much are they giving him how often?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM
OK... eat some oatmeal (real steel cut oats), take fenugreek, you can try power pumping (ten minutes on, ten off repeated for an hour), also when you pump try to be close to your baby or keep a picture, make sure you pump every two hours for fifteen to twenty minutes day and night with a quality pump. Since you're in the hospital they should be able to provide you with a hospital grade pump. After the milk stops dropping try to do some compressions to really make sure you get the last of the fatty milk out. If you do start drying up you can try domperidome (sp) or reglan to bring back your supply, but it should take months, not days to dry up even if you weren't pumping. Especially since I'm guessing you have an established supply. How much are they giving him how often?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

^^^ Everything said above!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Yep!
Skin to skin with your baby will help your supply even without nursing. How often are you pumping? It must be every 2 hours.

Quoting gdiamante:

^^^ Everything said above!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

What pump do you have?  Do you have a hospital grade pump?  I'm not talking high end single user pump.  Do they have IBCLCs on staff there?  Can they contact them to come in and help?

Pump every 2 hours!  Also try massage with pump and after you are done pumping add in hand expression!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Theres an exclusively pumping post in he resources tab..have you read that?

hspear
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Alright. Got so tied up in hospital stuff and lack of a computer that I completely forgot about this post. I'll try to answer all questios with one update. All I had was the cheapest manual pump walmart carries. The hospital loaned me a double electric Medela. I have a lactation consultant there now to help as well. Right now he's not eating at all. They need to be able to monitor his vital organs and make sure blood is flowing through properly; there is a decent risk while waiting for surgery that he may go into organ failure and they need to be able to catch it right away if it does happen. They're not letting him have any breastmilk because it makes it difficult to tell if the liquid they see in his stomach is food or blood. So we're just building up backup supply now.

Will definitely try everything you ladies have suggested! Thank you!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Thanks for the update.
Hope your little guy improves and gets his surgery soon. Also for a quick recovery!
Make sure your pumping every 2-3hrs around the clock to maintain your supply for when hes well enough to nurse again.
Radellia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Domperidone :)

If your in the US, it can be ordered from a Canadian website:

HousePharmacy.biz

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I was closer than I thought lol. And OP I will keep you and your LO in my thoughts and prayers!

Quoting Radellia:

Domperidone :)

If your in the US, it can be ordered from a Canadian website:

HousePharmacy.biz

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Praying for your little guy. This link is about a technique called hands-on pumping that really helps. I'm hoping someone can make it clicky for you, if not I'll do it on the computer in a little while. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)