Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Eating Healthy On the Go' Day 3: Kale Chips, BONUS Day WIN a CafeMom Travel Mug

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM
  • 114 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today's recipe is kale chips.

Kale is considered a super food. It's high in beta-carotene, Vitamins K & C and calcium as well as other nutrients. Kale chips are a great alternative to traditional potato chips and are super easy to make. They can be made ahead of time, making them a healthy food to take on the go. 

Kale chips

Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale
1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Optional: various other herbs- dill, cayenne, thyme, garlic powder, etc.

Preheat oven to 325. Remove stems from kale (stems are bitter). Rinse and drain well. Rip leaves into smaller pieces, coat in oil, season with salt and herbs of your choice. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 

Have you ever had kale chips? Is this something you would try? 

One member to reply to this post will WIN a CafeMom Travel Mug.

If you missed yesterday's post, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the 'Healthy Eating on the Go' Challenge yet, you can do so here.

The Giveaway Rules:

The Breastfeeding Giveaway starts 7/12/2013 at 8 am (ET) and ends 7/24/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Travel Mug
The random drawing shall occur on or about 8/7/13. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I have never tried kale chips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I would try this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ttsmommy2008
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I'm open to trying almost anything, at least once!
I may have to try this...even if it's simply to open my kids' eyes to it and to other healthy-eating and healthy-snacking options.
RHayden25
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM

DH and I were just talking about looking up a recipe for kale chips! Will try it this weekend I think :)

ttsmommy2008
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM
May try it this week!
TrouserMouse
We eat them every once in awhile. I like them spicy!
Lisa2424
I would love these.
Lisa2424
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Its a great alternative of you want something crunchy.
Juniper53098
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I make them in my dehydrator with EVO, sea salt, and garlic powder.  SO YUMMY!!!  I also make tomato chips.  They taste like mini pizzas.

motamaid
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM
We bake them all the time but in my experience 20-25 mins is way too long it only takes 8 mins or so in my oven. The most important thing is that they are dry when they go in or they won't be chips. Delicious!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)