Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Daytime Weaning

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm trying to start weaning dd2 (turns 1 in two weeks and I will be returning to work) from her day feedings.  She has continued breastfeeding every 1 1/2-2hrs during the day and very rarely goes 3hrs.  I'm a sahm and it is very hot out where we live so I can't just go different places to keep her busy and distract her.  She is eating some table foods, not a lot yet though but she is starting to eat more at meals with us.  If I try to distract her or try to just get her to wait 3 hours she just follows me around crying for her nee nee.  I need to return to work!   What else can I do? 

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

You don't have to wean to return to work. Carry on as you have been. Go back to work. Nurse when home. Done.

I worked 60mhours a week starting at ten weeks postpartum. At one year I dumped the pump.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Just go. Most likely it'll be out of sight out of mind while you're gone.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM
You don't need to wean to go back to work :)
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup just go to work. You can nurse on weekends/days off as much as you want and it won't affect lo at all.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I went back to work when DS2 was 8 weeks old.  He gets bm in a bottle while I am at work and nurses like crazy when Im home.  Since your baby is closer to a year, just leave solids and a sippy of water, unless you want to pump, and nurse when home.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Thanks ladies, I'm just wondering how the transition will go, the place she will be going (hopefully) she will have a balanced diet offered so I hope she will actually eat the food.  I'm trying to make it as easy a transition as possible.  With my first I went back to work when she was 10 weeks old so it was a much easier transition.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

You don't have to wean to return to work. Carry on as you have been. Go back to work. Nurse when home. Done.

I worked 60mhours a week starting at ten weeks postpartum. At one year I dumped the pump.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

If she's hungry she'll eat. If she's not she won't. Just like at home. She'll do better than you. **smiloe**

Quoting Kellileanne:

Thanks ladies, I'm just wondering how the transition will go, the place she will be going (hopefully) she will have a balanced diet offered so I hope she will actually eat the food.  I'm trying to make it as easy a transition as possible.  With my first I went back to work when she was 10 weeks old so it was a much easier transition.

hismommy2010
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I had to wean when my son was 13 months old. Due to medical reasons. I needed surgery on my kidney... This may sound mean, but it worked for me. And it's not exactly mean - because it's food.

I rubbed mustard and or vinegar on my nipple. When he wanted it, i would let him attach, he would quickly pull away and after a few days, he no longer wanted it. I just told him that his num num was getting old and sour cause it was drying up cause he's a big boy now.

Try that. And then offer water or milk. I also held him and rocked him in a rocker. It's not just the breast they are wanting, it's also the closeness they got while breastfeeding.

Best wishes

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

What's done is done.. but just a couple of notes.

1. Surgery doesn't necessitate weaning, unless the surgery is on the chest or breasts. General anesthesia and post-surgery painkillers are indeed safe. (We have many members who've been through it, typically for gallstones.)

2. Some kids LIKE those tastes. Crazy but true... we had a mom here who said her kid LOVED those flavors.

3. Acidic stuff on the niples can hurt. **grin**

Really, for this mom there's no need at all to wean.

Quoting hismommy2010:

I had to wean when my son was 13 months old. Due to medical reasons. I needed surgery on my kidney... This may sound mean, but it worked for me. And it's not exactly mean - because it's food.

I rubbed mustard and or vinegar on my nipple. When he wanted it, i would let him attach, he would quickly pull away and after a few days, he no longer wanted it. I just told him that his num num was getting old and sour cause it was drying up cause he's a big boy now.

Try that. And then offer water or milk. I also held him and rocked him in a rocker. It's not just the breast they are wanting, it's also the closeness they got while breastfeeding.

Best wishes

hismommy2010
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I don't care who says that the meds for surgery and after surgery are 'safe'. It's wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

I also had to have a stint ( tube) going into my kidney out of my urethra for 2 weeks after surgery,staying on a variety of meds during that time and for some time after the stint was removed. So, if you are just one of 'those' who don't ever want to help a mother with info to wean, simply because she just wants to wean. Then just simply say that, or don't say anything.

I see nothing wrong in a mother who wants to wean. Im happy that she made it however far she did.

You don't know anyones personal life, and are not a bug on the wall to know what they are going through or dealing with. So you can't make this into 'theres no reason to wean'. It's not your life, not your call.

Just like you don't know all of my medical history to say anything about me weaning.

zip it

Quoting gdiamante:

What's done is done.. but just a couple of notes.

1. Surgery doesn't necessitate weaning, unless the surgery is on the chest or breasts. General anesthesia and post-surgery painkillers are indeed safe. (We have many members who've been through it, typically for gallstones.)

2. Some kids LIKE those tastes. Crazy but true... we had a mom here who said her kid LOVED those flavors.

3. Acidic stuff on the niples can hurt. **grin**

Really, for this mom there's no need at all to wean.

Quoting hismommy2010:

Best wishes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN