Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do you wake your baby up to nurse?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 31 Replies

I was at my dh's family's house the other day and his aunt just had twin baby girls. They are formula feed and his aunt said that the doctor told her not to wake the girls up to eat. I was just wondering if you are supposed to wake them up or not because his grandmother seemed to think she was WAY in the wrong for not getting them up to eat every four hours when they are supposed to eat. I know when in the first few months you are building up your milk supply to nurse with so I would think that you want to wake the baby up to eat so you don't miss a feeding. Just wandering about this. I plan on waking the baby up to eat in the first few months to get my supply up but maybe when the baby is older trying to wean the baby from feeding at night. So is it different when you breastfeed vs formula feed? or should you just let the baby let you know when she wants to eat?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM
The only child i had to wake up to eat was my jaundice baby. The other ones it wasnt necessary, plus they would just wake up on their own to nurse.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Very rarely. I woke ds up in the hospital a few times to satisfy an annoying nurse, and then a few times when my milk came in, but that was it. I woke my dd up a few times when she was 2-3 months old, but that was because she had been sick at the time with diarrhea and throwing up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EcoModernMom
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM
only if he pushes 5 hours but that almost never happens.
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

No I have never woke Max up to eat.  He does that enough on his own. LOL

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I never woke either of my boys to eat. They woke up plenty on their own.

In my opinion, the only reasons to wake a baby to nurse would be if there was an issue with jaundice, low diapers, milk transfer, or weight gain.

abigailsmommy11
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I woke my baby up to breastfeed every 2 hours for the first 6 weeks, then she woke up by herself to eat about every 3 hours until she was 6 months old. Formula fed babies sleep longer sooner because the formula isn't as easily digested as breastmilk, so it sits in their stomachs keeping them fuller, longer.

kristine8333
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM
You can, but you don't have to. It depends how the mother feels about it with their baby. I have done it a few times.
hopeandglory53
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM

No! Unless they were little and pushing 4-5 hrs, which was very infrequent.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Only until she gained back up to birthweight,  then she was on her own schedule.

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
My little guy doesn't let us know he is hungry, he's a happy go lucky kind of kid who just hangs out. I had to wake him when he was a newborn and even now at 7 months have to watch the clock or else he won't eat all day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN