Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping at work..... **update**

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 37 Replies

Where do you pump? your car? the bathroom? Do they let you use the office? 

I was kind of offended when I went to work today (walmart) (my first day) and was told I had to pump in the bathroom. They have a family bathroom so I didnt have to worry about other people coming in, but there still wasnt anything to sit on besides the toilet so I just stood the whole time and used the changing table as a counter. Wondering if I should be offended or if its common for people to have to use the restroom at work to pump.

**Thank you everyone. I printed out papers about the law just in case I needed them and went to work today. When it was time for my first break I went to the HR lady (who again, I was with today) and asked if there was another room I could pump. after her repeatedly telling me "you can use the family restroom" everytime I said "you are legally required to provide me a room other than a restroom with a chair. And I will not pump in the restroom again" she finally called for a manager. I think we went through it 3-4 times and I was just about to pull the papers out. I had a choice of a storage room (with no chair or counters) or the invoice office (where 2 ladies work but theres a chair and table). I chose the invoice office and they then set up a little area in it specifically for me, using a garmet coset that is large enough for 2 chairs, and it was set next to a short filing cabinet so that I could have a work area as well. It was perfect. I was very comfortable in it and I wasnt exposed to anyone. I am very satisfied with what I was given today! THANK YOU. I never would have known without this group!**

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

First go to that website, pull up the employer info, print it off.  Take it to her first, tell her she was incorrect.  If she gives you any more trouble, go to her supervisor or the assistant manager or store manager.  Document EVERYTHING, dates, times, what was said, etc.  She should know better, and since she doesn't (or refuses to follow it) it is time for you to become your own advocate.

Quoting jesuschild06:

Actually itwas the HR lady who told me to pump in the bathroom. Shes the one who covers eery orientation (everyones first day). so.... who do i go to now?

Quoting preacherskid:

I'm with G on this one.  This was a MAJOR no-no on their part (assuming your supervisor is the one that said pump in the bathroom) and HR needs to know ASAP so they can address the issue.  Your supervisor needs some serious training on this one, it should have already been covered.  They could be sued or have the EEOC or Labor Dept on their tails for this.

Quoting jesuschild06:

its a walmart super center. and yeah, I dont know what i would have done if I had brought an electric pump rather than manual!

thanks for the website !

Quoting preacherskid:

How big is the business?  If there are more than fifty employees working for the company, they just broke the law.  Federal labor law now requires businesses with more than fifty employees to provide a clean space that has a lockable door, sitting area, and outlet, and which is not a restroom for employees to express milk in.  Breaks must be provided as mom needs them, and they can be unpaid breaks.  A company with more than fifty employees must prove undue hardship in providing the required space to get out of this provision- considering how most places have an extra office, conference room, or even storage area that would suit this is a stretch.  Check out www.usbreastfeeding.org for moree information about the pumping in the workplace provisions that were added to Federal labor codes.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Tell her you looked up information on your rights....give her a copy of the law, ask where else you could pump. If she gives you a fuss, start with the assistant manager.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM

WalMart is covered by FEDERAL LAW which mandates you must be given a place OTHER than the bathroom to pump. Go to HR.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this
That is not okay. Others will be able to tell you how to deal with that.

I'm a teacher. I pump in my classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure the law says they have to provide a clean space that is not a bathroom and someplace to store the milk. I pumped in my car with a cover. I ate my lunch there and chilled to some music. It was comfortable for me. I didn't ask for a better place. I was happy in my car.

Check your laws in your state but they have really favored the pumping mom.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

How big is the business?  If there are more than fifty employees working for the company, they just broke the law.  Federal labor law now requires businesses with more than fifty employees to provide a clean space that has a lockable door, sitting area, and outlet, and which is not a restroom for employees to express milk in.  Breaks must be provided as mom needs them, and they can be unpaid breaks.  A company with more than fifty employees must prove undue hardship in providing the required space to get out of this provision- considering how most places have an extra office, conference room, or even storage area that would suit this is a stretch.  Check out www.usbreastfeeding.org for moree information about the pumping in the workplace provisions that were added to Federal labor codes.

jesuschild06
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

where would i look for my state laws on that? 

I wouldnt mind pumping in my car, but for our breaks, they are only 15 minutes, and if I take the time to walk out to my car, and then have to walk in, and clean the pump I am not sure I would even have 5 minutes to pump. I am scheduled 9 hour shifts, two 15 minute breaks and one 1hour lunch.  Thaddy usually eats every 3-4 hours, so I dont think I would be engorged at all if I only pump on my lunch, BUT then I would have to pump at home as well to get enough milk for when i am gone.

Quoting mjimaging:

I'm pretty sure the law says they have to provide a clean space that is not a bathroom and someplace to store the milk. I pumped in my car with a cover. I ate my lunch there and chilled to some music. It was comfortable for me. I didn't ask for a better place. I was happy in my car.

jesuschild06
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

its a walmart super center. and yeah, I dont know what i would have done if I had brought an electric pump rather than manual!

thanks for the website !

Quoting preacherskid:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

WalMart is covered by FEDERAL LAW which mandates you must be given a place OTHER than the bathroom to pump. Go to HR.

shortmama490
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My boss will let me pump in a small room we don't use

She was like " you are not pumping in the bathroom.. Well set up the small room". I was like awesome :)
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I'm with G on this one.  This was a MAJOR no-no on their part (assuming your supervisor is the one that said pump in the bathroom) and HR needs to know ASAP so they can address the issue.  Your supervisor needs some serious training on this one, it should have already been covered.  They could be sued or have the EEOC or Labor Dept on their tails for this.

Quoting jesuschild06:

thanks for the website !

Quoting preacherskid:

CafeMom Tickers
shortmama490
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I've been pumping in the middle of the night after he eats off one side. I can get 3oz outta one engorged breast then 1.5-1oz off the eaten breast.

During the day while hws eating I can hardly get anything out ta the pump. So I'll pump at night until I go to work then pump 2x at work. I Think I'll be OK.

Quoting jesuschild06:

where would i look for my state laws on that? 

I wouldnt mind pumping in my car, but for our breaks, they are only 15 minutes, and if I take the time to walk out to my car, and then have to walk in, and clean the pump I am not sure I would even have 5 minutes to pump. I am scheduled 9 hour shifts, two 15 minute breaks and one 1hour lunch.  Thaddy usually eats every 3-4 hours, so I dont think I would be engorged at all if I only pump on my lunch, BUT then I would have to pump at home as well to get enough milk for when i am gone.

Quoting mjimaging:

jesuschild06
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

the HR lady is the one who sent me to the bathroom to pump !

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)