Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sleeping through the night? EDIT

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 66 Replies

How old was your baby when they started sleeping through the night? My nine week old is no where near sleeping through the night, she's up every two or three hours. I go back to work soon and I'm terrified of what kind of toll the sleepless nights will take on my job performance. My friends have been telling me to give Aubrey formula before bed because it fills their stomach and allows them to sleep longer. But I'm really enjoying exclusively  breastfeeding. 

* I should specify that I'm just looking for insight to your child's age when sleeping through the night started, I fully intend to go to work as I don't have the means to be a SAHM. I've gotten enough bashing for being a working mom in other groups on CM. 

EDIT: Thank you all for the perspective. I never thought I'd get so many responses! I should add that the real motivation behind this post was a woman I met at my obgyn's office a few days ago. I was there with my daughter as was she. She bragged about how her baby sleeps so well and is generally a happier baby since they switched to formula. She made me feel like I was wrong for continuing to breastfeed because my baby has stomach issues that (to quote this woman) "would probably be solved by switching to sensitive stomach formula". I figured that Aubrey's sleep pattern was entirely normal but since everyone close to me uses formula, I wanted some breastfeeding mom input. THANKS LADIES!! 

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJill87
by Jill on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
My almost two year old (2 in oct) does not STTN yet
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Dd is 6 mo and doesn't.  I'm 27 yo (and fully on solids!) and I don't either.

point being, it has nothing to do with nursing.  They are separate issues.  She might be hungry, she might need comfort, she might be scared, she might be lonely.  All of those things require one person - mama. 

Most of the mamas here work.  I am currently a SAHM but about to open my own business so I will be working 60 hrs/week.  No bashing here : )

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Nine weeks? Wouldn't expect it for MANY months yet. Sleeping through the night is very individual and not to be expected at all in year one. Sometimes not even in year two. 

Mine is narly 14 YEARS old and doesn't sleep all night. Nor do I at nearly 50; but I've always been the type to sleep no more than 3-4 hours at a time and who becomes a useless slug on more than six hours sleep.

I worked 60 hour weeks. Co-sleeping was vital to get the couple of hours a night that I *do* need. Also, no cleaning. That's what husbands are for. **grin** Paper plates, plastic utensils. Anything not needed to live, not needed for now.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM

And I do need to warn you; we've seen many moms try to use formula to make baby sleep more; it's sorta like playing Russian Roulette. You have an equally good chance that baby will wake MORE often. That's what happened here. I thought waking every two to three hours was a bit much, but every HOUR was ridiculous!

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Claire doesn't yet, she is finally down to a 2am feeding and then 6am feeding (then goes to seep till 7:30-9)--she turns one in 12 days.

HisFunnyGrl
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM
My son is 9 weeks old and sleeps from 11pm to 8am. Exclusively breastfed.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Odd was between 15 and 20 months, ydd was about 15-18 months.  I think of sttn as five hours straight, no waking to nurse.  I have worked ft with both of them. I suggest room or bed sharing to make night wakings easier on you.  You can do it :)

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM
DD was from birth basically.
DS is 6 months an still waking multiple times :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Bahahaha! I have no clue what that would be like. It's been so long since I've slept the whole night. Aiden is almost thirteen months.
jamamama00
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM
We put ours in their own bed for the night at about seven/eight months. If you are going to wait for them to do it on their own, it could be a very long time (years)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)