Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't want to bottlefeed

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 57 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you supplement breast milk with formula?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

My baby girl is 7 weeks old and she still hasn't gained back the weight she lost after birth. My mom is being very pushy about using a bottle and insists on feeding her from the bottle every time she's hungry. I'm okay with adding a bottle after I nurse but I don't want to lose the milk I do have. I enjoy the bonding time from nursing. Anyone else not make enough milk and have to supplement? How do you deal?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I did, but that doesn't mean you need to. I need a weight history from you. Birth, lowest, current.

I also need to know about your nursing management. Are you feeding on demand, no matter how long, no matter how often?

More questions will follow. I don't yet know that you need to supplement.

ELFs_Mommy
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been fortunate to have never needed to supplement. However, there are a few options to help you avoid a bottle all together. The first is that you can just take a few days with you and baby and just nurse nurse nurse. Breasts make milk on demand, so the more you demand, the more they will make. The second is using an SNS (supplemental nutrition system) while you nurse. It's basically a bottle that you fill with either formula or expressed breast milk that has a tube that you would tape just at you nipple so when baby nurses, she gets milk from the breast and from the SNS.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Answer the questions G asked and we can help you better mama ^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM
we need the information gdiamante asked for to be of any help. For now I would ask your mother to leave. Stress further hunders milk production.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I just sent her a message. Hoping she chimes back in soon.

Devious333
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Have you though about taking Fenugreek to increase your supply?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oleole11
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I've tried. I just don't produce enough.

Quoting Devious333:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Based on what? The only true indicator of supply is dipes. 6-8 changes per day. If you're changing that many, then supply is good.

Quoting oleole11:

I've tried. I just don't produce enough.

Quoting Devious333:

oleole11
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

The doc says because she isn't gaining. She's super alert and active. Idk frustrated

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I need a weight history please. If you really don't want to bottlefeed, we really need answers to the questions I asked above.

Not gaining is a subjective term that really means nothing. Actual numbers. Pounds and ounces. No percentiles, please... those are meaningless.

We've helped moms with babies LOSING weight. It's entirely possible you can get rid of the bottles but we need the info.

Quoting oleole11:

The doc says because she isn't gaining. She's super alert and active. Idk frustrated

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)