Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

skinny toddler

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 18 Replies
Ds breastfed until 14 months. He was a healthy, chubby baby that started walking at 11 months. He's almost 2 1/2 and only weighs 24 lbs and is 3 feet tall. He loves food and will eat nearly anything but is very active so never gains weight! We're being harassed by the doctor's office about his weight and it's driving me insane!
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Smile, nod and ignore. He is active, eating healthily, and I'll bet there are similarly built persons in the family. He would be the same way if he had been ff.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
You've got nothing to worry about. It sounds like he's getting the perfect amount of food. Kids aren't supposed to consistently gain weight. They're supposed to grow and be physically active, which is what your little guy is doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seniahmom
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds fine to me! My guys were always the plague to the mind of their ped who thought they should be these little roly poly things. It's so frustrating. You can't nor should you fatten up your kid without just cause. Just keep offering healthy choices. As long as he's hitting milestones I wouldn't sweat it. If they don't leave you alone about it, switch doctors. It took three years (my older son) to get ours off my back about my boys' weights. She finally accepted that they were going to be tall & skinny at ODS's 3 year/YDS's 18 month appointment when they were 28 lbs , 38 inches & 19.5 lbs, 32.5 inches respectively.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a 23 pound 33/34 inch two year old and a 35 pound 43 inch four year old.  I am 95 pounds, 5'4" and when DH was able to stand he was about 115/120 and 5'3".  We were able to get his ped as ours, so he didn't bat an eye at my skinny girls, he mentioned growth charts to me once in the four years we have been going to him and that was to comment that ODD had JUMPED a curve lol.  He asks if they are eating okay, I say yes, and that's the end of it.  He's also down with us breastfeeding until the child weans- his wife breastfed :) 

ETA: when I was a kid my mom spent a lot of time agonizing about my size and eating habits.  A doctor gave her very good advice- as long as the child is healthy, happy, active, and developing, and the child has healthy food options, there is no need to be concerned with weight gain.  Didn't stop her from bugging me to eat more as a child, but it did calm her nerves about having a skinny kid.  Your ped is crazy :)

CafeMom Tickers
armywife2408
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
With my oldest the doctors office always got on me about her being underweight. She eats more than I do!.she just is always, even kicks in her sleep. Don't let the dr get to you.
username123
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM
DH and his brothers were breastfed and toothpicks toddlers/kids, too.
username123
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I'm 5'9 and was a thin kid/teen. I tell them that! Ugh! They harass us to go to a nutritionist or GI doctor etc. We have healthy food, variety and we put butter on ds' food and give him whole fat dairy etc.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's making milestones, then go get a second opinion.

username123
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

He's a little behind in speech but his fine and gross motor skills are awesome. He has always been ahead with his motor skills...

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd switch then. My 6 year old broke 30 lbs this year. she's just small no matter what we make her eat, she didn't gain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)