Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning trouble help!!!

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
I am weaning my 19 month old son and have been since he turned one. I'm down to one feeding a day, but because he doesn't eat much during the day, it's hard for me to deny him that one meal plus the last time I did, it was a 45 minute fit session before he went to sleep and then woke up three hours later. I've started giving him milk and oatmeal in a sippy cup to try to get him away from the breast. He likes it but not working to totally wean him.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Bump
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Is there a pressing need to eliminate that one feeding? If not, I'd leave it and let him do it on his own.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM

My thoughts too

Quoting gdiamante:

Is there a pressing need to eliminate that one feeding? If not, I'd leave it and let him do it on his own.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM
It sounds like he really isn't eating enough to wean him if you have to thicken up that one cup to get him to feel satisfied enough to sleep.
I would keep nursing during that feeding because it sounds like he needs it.
What might help is more snacks during the day to help him eat more because he wouldn't be as hungry in the evening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemary18
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Thanks, it's just my own sense of this is what I should b doing.
rosemary18
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Thanks, we are doing that now. I even put oatmeal in his cup during the day in case we can't have a sit down meal when we are out.

kgau73
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Natural weaning age is minimum 2.5 so what's the rush?
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Oatmeal in a cup is a bad idea - much like cereal from a bottle, it poses a choking hazard as well as creates other eating-related problems. Oatmeal belongs on a spoon.

Parent led weaning is never easy, and if he's not ready, he's going to let you know.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Oatmeal in a cup? Like an open top cup? I'm not understanding the purpose of that?

Quoting rosemary18:

Thanks, we are doing that now. I even put oatmeal in his cup during the day in case we can't have a sit down meal when we are out.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM
That's a choking hazard, just like cereal in a bottle. My boys rarely had sit down meals as toddlers... pack some snacks in the diaper bag.

Quoting rosemary18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)