Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

FTM Breastfeeding questions-LONG!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 20 Replies
Hi ladies! I am a FTM to a three week old baby girl. In the first week of life she was losing weight and one day only had two wet diapers and one streaked with green stool. We had to supplement with one oz formula. 

Now I pump and supplement with 2 oz breastmilk. She was 7 lbs at birth, 6 lbs 5 oz at her lowest, and as of last Thursday 7 lbs 9 oz. The lactation consultant said I have an overactive letdown and this caused my daughter to have trouble nursing.

I have questions on how to get my daughter strictly on the breast while ensuring she's still getting enough to eat. When I pump I usually get about 8 oz but have gotten up to 12. How often should I pump to avoid contributing to my oversupply? 

Also, when we met with the LC she was weighed pre and post nursing and she got 1 oz from one breast and 0.4 oz from the other. She doesn't always nurse that well so I don't know if that's typical but how much should I supplement with after each nursing session?

Lastly, her pediatrician said not to let her nurse for longer than 15 minutes bc she'll end up burning more calories than she takes in. Have you ladies heard this before? 

Thank you for your help!!!
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dibsy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Breastfeeding is hard, I wish you the very best with it. I know for me it was a struggle the first few months. When I was still in the hospital after giving birth to my son, the LC told me about the calorie burning thing. I was trying to feed DS for a full hour with no success and she did say that at that point if he was refusing it and I was fighting with him over it it burned more calories than he was even taking in, so to break for a bit and try again.
Leoat7
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM
It is so much harder than I anticipated! Thank you for the well wishes!

Quoting Dibsy:

Breastfeeding is hard, I wish you the very best with it. I know for me it was a struggle the first few months. When I was still in the hospital after giving birth to my son, the LC told me about the calorie burning thing. I was trying to feed DS for a full hour with no success and she did say that at that point if he was refusing it and I was fighting with him over it it burned more calories than he was even taking in, so to break for a bit and try again.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Let baby stay on your breast for as long he wants. If you don't need to pump, don't. If you are feeling engorged, pump just enough for relief, don't empty your breast. To help your overactive letdown, nurse while reclined and start block feeding (nurse from just one side for a 4 hour block, then use the other side for the next 4 hour block - blocks can be increased as needed).
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting Leoat7:

Hi ladies! I am a FTM mom to a three week old baby girl. In the first week of life she was losing weight
She was supposed to. 10-12% depending on delivery.
and one day only had two wet diapers and one streaked with green stool. We had to supplement with one oz formula. 
In week one it's one dipe per day of life, so if that was any day after day three that would have been a problem. Any time BEFORE day three, not an issue.

Now I pump and supplement with 2 oz breastmilk. She was 7 lbs at birth, 6 lbs 5 oz at her lowest, and as of last Thursday 7 lbs 9 oz. The lactation consultant said I have an overactive letdown and this caused my daughter to have trouble nursing.
Yep. Crikey she's big! She made birth weight back faster than I'd expect and that's good. The pumping will encourage the overactive letdown so put the pump away. 

I have questions on how to get my daughter strictly on the breast while ensuring she's still getting enough to eat. When I pump I usually get about 8 oz but have gotten up to 12. How often should I pump to avoid contributing to my oversupply? 
Never. Really. Never. Just for the barest amount of relief. The pain level should go from 10 to about 5. All feeding at the breast.

Also, when we met with the LC she was weighed pre and post nursing and she got 1 oz from one breast and 0.4 oz from the other. She doesn't always nurse that well so I don't know if that's typical but how much should I supplement with after each nursing session?
Nothing. Really. NOTHING. You don't need to and it will cause you more problems. Put her top breast. Leave her there till she comes off on her own each time.

Lastly, her pediatrician said not to let her nurse for longer than 15 minutes bc she'll end up burning more calories than she takes in. Have you ladies heard this before? 
Yep. From the mouths of stupid peds. Sorry, hon, yours is one of that number.

Dump the pump, bottles and doc and you'll be fine.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Everything looks normal to me, aside from your massive pump output! So, you're nursing plus giving 2 oz per bottle? What happens when you don't give her a bottle?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

She has gained 1lb 4oz in 3 weeks which is excellent. You can stop supplementing now! Doesn't sound to me like you ever needed to start. You should also stop pumping in order to get your OAL under control. It is just contributing to that and there is not a need for it at this point. Hand express the bare minimum to achieve comfort. You know she's getting enough if you get 6 diapers a day. Poop counts as 2 and at this point she should be pooping twice a day. That may slow down in a few weeks and is not a cause for alarm. Weighing pre and post one nursing session is pointless. Babies take in different amounts in a 24 hour period just like we do. Not nursing for more than 15 mins due to burning too many calories is BS. Put her on the breast and leave her there as often and as long as she dictates. You have great supply and she has great gain. You have zero problems except for the ones the LC and doc are creating. Good luck!

Leoat7
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Thanks! The day with the 2 wet diapers was day 6 and they weren't even really wet. Just a few spots of orange. And I will be VERY happy to be done with bottles/pumps!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Leoat7:

Hi ladies! I am a FTM mom to a three week old baby girl. In the first week of life she was losing weight
She was supposed to. 10-12% depending on delivery.
and one day only had two wet diapers and one streaked with green stool. We had to supplement with one oz formula. 
In week one it's one dipe per day of life, so if that was any day after day three that would have been a problem. Any time BEFORE day three, not an issue.

Yep. Crikey she's big! She made birth weight back faster than I'd expect and that's good. The pumping will encourage the overactive letdown so put the pump away. 

Never. Really. Never. Just for the barest amount of relief. The pain level should go from 10 to about 5. All feeding at the breast.

Nothing. Really. NOTHING. You don't need to and it will cause you more problems. Put her top breast. Leave her there till she comes off on her own each time.

Yep. From the mouths of stupid peds. Sorry, hon, yours is one of that number.

Dump the pump, bottles and doc and you'll be fine.

Leoat7
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Yes, I nurse then give two ounces. A couple times she nursed and fell asleep so I had to wait to give her the bottle or wake her up. And sometimes she'll refuse the breast and get the bottle first and I'll offer the breast later.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Everything looks normal to me, aside from your massive pump output! So, you're nursing plus giving 2 oz per bottle? What happens when you don't give her a bottle?

Plus-size-mommy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Let her nurse, nurse, nurse! Anytime she wiggles or whimpers, make sure she's dry but then pop the boob in her mouth! Let her stay there as long as she wants. If you're engorged, pump or express just enough for relief or for her to latch comfortably then nurse! Good luck Hon and btw your pedi is an idiot! :)
Leoat7
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Thank you! Good to know I don't need to restrict her nursing time! And I started supplementing because she wasn't meeting her diaper counts. She has about 10-12 wet diapers now and about 2-4 dirty. I don't know if that's solely from supplementing though. I hope not!!!

Quoting stepconfused182:

She has gained 1lb 4oz in 3 weeks which is excellent. You can stop supplementing now! Doesn't sound to me like you ever needed to start. You should also stop pumping in order to get your OAL under control. It is just contributing to that and there is not a need for it at this point. Hand express the bare minimum to achieve comfort. You know she's getting enough if you get 6 diapers a day. Poop counts as 2 and at this point she should be pooping twice a day. That may slow down in a few weeks and is not a cause for alarm. Weighing pre and post one nursing session is pointless. Babies take in different amounts in a 24 hour period just like we do. Not nursing for more than 15 mins due to burning too many calories is BS. Put her on the breast and leave her there as often and as long as she dictates. You have great supply and she has great gain. You have zero problems except for the ones the LC and doc are creating. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN