Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergic to shellfish? HELP PLEASE!!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have a high suspicion that my son is allergic to shellfish. A couple of weeks ago, I was eating clam strips and he reached for them, and me not knowing that that was one of the "no-no's", gave him a small piece. Within 5 minutes he had red spots all around his mouth. They went away after about half an hour, but now my question is can I eat shellfish without causing a reaction?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Had you eaten it before while he was still EBF?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I would avoid shellfish while you are nursing him. My ds developed a severe shellfish allrrgy at 32 months and I never found a definitive answer regarding whether the proteins pass readily into milk so I avoided to protect him.

As he gets older, be aware that many restaurants use shared fryers for shellfish and everything else they fry, or they use shared utensils. If he reacts to foods fried in shared oil or to foods touched by shared utensils just ask before you order his meal or share food from your plate to make sure that the food is safe. We inform our server and then a manager typically comes over to fill us in.. we always ask that new utensils and pans be used to cook his food, we bring back-up food for him in case we can't find a safe option, and I always carry benefryl and our epipens.
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My 21 month old developed a shellfish reaction about 5 months back. He had routinely been eating shellfish since 7 months of age. Around 14/14 months, he developed a rash upon eating crab (He has eczema and is quite rashy often so I didn't connect it) The next time he ate a seafood soup, he got a rash plus swelling around the eyes. 

Although I haven't seen an allergist yet, I do have an epipen with me now since his reaction progressed to swelling. You never know when a fatal rection will occur so he is off of all shellfish now. I still eat it out although only a bite or two instread of a whole meal. He doesn't get a rash or any symptoms from a few bites. Also, he doesn't have any reactions when we eat out together either so far.  He did get a slight rash when he grabbed a clamshell that my neighbor was eating at his house. The allergist will test him when I fianlly call to determine if he still has the allergy. I really hope he outgrows this one as we eat shellfish a lot.

I would limit exposure to shelfish now for both of you until you can get him to an allergist. They will do skin testing to determine if he really does have an allergy. If he is allergic, you will have to get more strict and carry an epipen with you also.

LuckyNLoved
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM
His ped. Wants to do a blood test to determine for sure. Said that skin tests show false positives sometimes de to it irritating the skin to test.
LuckyNLoved
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I have eaten it before, and there was no reaction. The only reaction he had was when he ate it on his own.
LuckyNLoved
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM

BUMP!

preacherskid
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

How old?  Blood tests can be highly inaccurate under three years of age, sometimes until five.  Prick tests can be more accurate, but allergy testing of any sort can be hit or miss.  Tracking diet for reactions and elimination of suspect foods is best for very young infants and children.  Also you might want to check out the Young Children with Allergies/Asthma/Eczema group, there is a lot of good information.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Blood tests can be inaccurate. My ds was negative but has obvious reactions. We are holding off on skin testing until he is older... probably 4.5... just because we want hm to be able to tell us if he feels a reaction starting so that we can do the epipen and call an ambulance quickly enough. I love that his allergist is being cautious.

Quoting LuckyNLoved:

His ped. Wants to do a blood test to determine for sure. Said that skin tests show false positives sometimes de to it irritating the skin to test.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)