Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! 5 month old won't drink bottle at daycare - just started 2 weeks ago :(

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi

I am new to Cafemom but I am needing help!! I have a 5 month old that will not drink from the bottle at daycare. She will nurse perfectly fine in the morning however 3 hours later she struggles to even eat 2oz froma bottle at daycare. I see her at lunch to nurse again and she will nurse great. Then they try to feed her an afternoon bottle and she struggles again to drink 2oz. We worked with bottles at home and my husband can get her to drink 4oz no problem . Wondering what advice I can get to help me with daycare eating problems? She is a healthy 14 lbs 25 1/2 inches long so I am not worried about her losing weight 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Well first off 4oz is not needed. 1 ounce per hour your are gone. 3 ounces every 3 hours seems to work the best. Always with a slow flow nipple and she should be burped after every ounce. My kids never took bottles. Try a sippy cup without the spill proof valve(that's the only thing my kids would take) instead or they can use a syringe or shot glass but I'm sure sippy would be easier for them.  If all they can get her to take is 2 ounces, it's not a big deal. She'll make up for it when you are back together. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM
4 ounces is too much at one time. She may be going into reverse cycling-- nursing more when she is with you. Will her caregivers be willing to try a sippy cup, holding and helping her drink? She actually only needs 1-1.25 ounces for each hour you're separated, and since you nurse het at lunch, she's probably holding out for that. Does she tend to cluster nurse in the evening and nurse at night? Many babies do--it's perfectly normal.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
2 oz is fine. 4 oz is too much for a breastfed baby. She will drink enough at daycare to meet her immediate needs and then make up tge rest with you at home.... no problem and no worries as long as her diaper count is okay.
armywife2408
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM
My has worked at a day care the past 7 years and said a lot of babies refuse to use bottles if they have been ebf. She had told me before i go back to work to make sure i introduce bottles at home first.
BEAT4
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Thanks for the awesome responses. I was concerned she wasn't getting enough to eat. We did however confirm she is in the beginning stages of teething so this next couple of weeks are going to be so much fun at my house. Prayers are definitely requested for this miserable time. Thanks again.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM
I agree with the others, no cause for concern here. :-) Good luck with the teething!
BEAT4
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with her dr today just to rule out any other concerns, however last night after teething gel and a ice cold teething ring.. my little princess slept through the night. Not sure if I am ready for her to sleep through the night wih her only being breastfed but maybe she is ready :)

thanks for all the advice

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Does she seem sick?
BEAT4
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
No signs of sickness besides not eating as good as she is used to. She has been congeted so we are getting a humidifier for her room. The dr appointment went really good and her dr said she checked out perfectly. So she is getting what she needs from nursing. Just a concerned mommy :)
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Her diapers good?  Then I wouldn't worry.  

She may just prefer it straight from the tap.  DD2 used to take bottles but the past 2 months (she's 6 months now) she has refused.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN