Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid in laws and darn doctor

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 25 Replies

I took Virgil for his four month old check up. He weighs a whomping 17 lbs and is 24 1/2 inches long. We're also battling a rash and my doctor actually said it would be so much easier for him to figure out what was wrong and causing his breakout if I used formula. Well then he told me to start giving him cereal and then to start purees at five months. I'm like thats not what the aap says to do they said start everything at six months. He said that he has been doing this 15 years and has always done it like this. He said that he needs the food. Like really. Well my sil happened to be back there with us and she has been pushing cereal since he was a month old jumped on that like flies on shit. When I told her that I wasnt going to feed him anything until six months she started jumping down my throat about how he needs cereal becuase he is always hungry and babies need solid foods to help them grow. I told her that he is growing just fine and that technically all a baby needs their first year is breastmilk. She then asked if I was going to breastfeed him until he was a year and I told her yep and longer if possible. She told me it was disgusting and that it was wrong. TOLD her it was no different than our 2 year old cousin sipping from a bottle. She tried telling me that it was different becuase he was drinking from a tit. I just laughed and told her there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding and that its better for him. I told her that I will give him foods when I damn well please. She doesnt have any children. I hate all this adversity to breastfeeding him. I told dh this he laughed at it and told me to feeed him how I pleased just to not breastfeed him until he was five lol. I try to not let her get to me but it happens from time to time. 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM
3 moms liked this
You need a new doctor! And stop letting anyone but you and dh go to doctor appointments. It's nobodys business what is going on with your baby at the doctors office.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Good for you for sticking to your guns and standing up for yourself & your baby. DH gets a big hug, too!
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's always the people without babies who give advice and I would have told the pedi a lot has changed in fifteen years
connorsmama06
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

A. Get a new ped

B. Don't take anyone with you to his check ups. If I took my In laws they would have opinions and ask personal questions 

poeticrose09
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I have no other way but them. Thats why she was with me. 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You need a new doctor! And stop letting anyone but you and dh go to doctor appointments. It's nobodys business what is going on with your baby at the doctors office.

connorsmama06
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her she has to stay in the waiting room. Or get the nurse to tell her. 

Quoting poeticrose09:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

poeticrose09
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Can you interview pedis before switching. I really loved the one he had when he was first born and he will go back to her once dh puts him on his insurance in November. She was only there becuase I had no other way there/ 

Quoting connorsmama06:

A. Get a new ped

B. Don't take anyone with you to his check ups. If I took my In laws they would have opinions and ask personal questions 

MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Next time you can ask them to wait in the waiting room.

Quoting poeticrose09:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

connorsmama06
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I called and sat down with them. My ped is on the same page as we are. Ask about anything that is a must for you.

Quoting poeticrose09:

Can you interview pedis before switching. I really loved the one he had when he was first born and he will go back to her once dh puts him on his insurance in November. She was only there becuase I had no other way there/ 

Quoting connorsmama06:

A. Get a new ped

MommyO2-6631
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I have a feeling my MIL would be asking things like... is it better for their socialization to spend nights away from mom and dad? Heck no. I don't even tell them when his appointments are.

Quoting connorsmama06:

A. Get a new ped

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)