Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I took serenity too an acutal pedi today instead of a family dr. The last dr tried to tell me i need to force her to take formula with cereal in it to give her more calories cause she is not gaining like they want. Ive posted here a few times and from what everyone says she is gaining just fine, she is just small. But quick history she was born at 6.14 lowest got to 6.10 today she was 11.1, i have tryed to give her bottles to supplament and it dont matter what i have in them she will refuse every type of bottle, short of leaving her with someone else all day and them letting her scream till she is hungry enough to take one she will just not do it, and im not up for leaving her all day. I do not believe there is anything wrong with her but now this pedi is saying almost the SAME thing, she says i need to get more calories in her and my milk is not working good enough. SHe brought up social services. What really sucks is i live in a small area so ther are not alot of dr's, now she has seen just about all of them within an hour drive from me and they are all saying the same thing. So i called my grandma who's judgement i trust more than about anybody's and she said maybe i should just try one or two feedings a day for the next three weeks till her 6 month check and see what happens, if she doesn't have a chane in her weight then be like "i tried your way now will you leave her be" so i mixed up a little and tried it and she makes a nasty face then gags, so i added more milk to make it more runny and she still gags so im thinking shes just not ready, so now what? Do i keep trying or what? Im so fustrated and feel like giving up completly. ANd my husband dont really have any advise, he just supports any decision i make and then my mom just dont give me much support either.  I feel like im failing my baby and maybe my milk is just not good enough and maybe thats why i had this same problem with my son, once i gave in he started to gain better, and with my oldest i only nursed 3 months so never had weight issues.So far i have made it 5 1/2 months with her. She has hit all her other mile stones but her weight. I just dont know what to do.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
6 moms liked this
If your dd is generally happy and feeds well at the breast and is gaining ( even slowly) and meeting developmental milestones she is NOT underfed and she is NOT failure to thrive.

Here is what you do if all of the above applies. Keep some formula around and bottles so IF pain in the patootie doc sends social services your way you can show them you 'supplement'. And when your doc tells you to give bottles put on a grin and nod. And if they ask how many ounces a feeding she takes tell them ' I feed on demand and she takes about 3-5 ounces a feeding' don't mention formula or breastmilk unless you have to and then tell them you give her a couple of bottles a day if they pry. ;)

I can almost guarantee that as soon as they think you are giving formula they will be content with how she is progressing.
Newfie_Mom
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I don't know where you are but here (when it was me) when they said they would call CPS if he didnt start gaining more weight. They had already called them they showed up on my doorstep a week later. They evaluated him, made a file and I never saw them again.
carranzasfaith
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

sadley i think your right, i hinestly think the dr's are getting paid by the formula companies.

Quoting norahsmommy:

If your dd is generally happy and feeds well at the breast and is gaining ( even slowly) and meeting developmental milestones she is NOT underfed and she is NOT failure to thrive.

Here is what you do if all of the above applies. Keep some formula around and bottles so IF pain in the patootie doc sends social services your way you can show them you 'supplement'. And when your doc tells you to give bottles put on a grin and nod. And if they ask how many ounces a feeding she takes tell them ' I feed on demand and she takes about 3-5 ounces a feeding' don't mention formula or breastmilk unless you have to and then tell them you give her a couple of bottles a day if they pry. ;)

I can almost guarantee that as soon as they think you are giving formula they will be content with how she is progressing.

carranzasfaith
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

yikes thats still scary

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

I don't know where you are but here (when it was me) when they said they would call CPS if he didnt start gaining more weight. They had already called them they showed up on my doorstep a week later. They evaluated him, made a file and I never saw them again.

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

If you are content with your DD's growth AND you're getting hassled by the docs, why are you continuting to take your baby in? 

Well-baby checks are not forced by law, and a lot of us mamas get by with only seeing a doc when babe is actually sick.  :)

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:33 AM
I had a Ped call cps on me with DS1. All I had to do was show them that I had pumped milk in the freezer and that if needed I did have formula. The only reason cps came out was because not only did the Ped call them but one of DH's ex-friends was pisses that she "couldn't" bf. Truth is she didn't even try. DH joked that we like to hear him cry cause he was super fussy one day when she was over. Next day cps showed up and I showed them all of that. I had actually just pumped too and had a 4oz bottle sitting on the counter waiting to be put in the freezer.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:39 AM
I think you should just hold off on going to the doctor, or just go their for shots and whatnot. They can't make you do anything and they shouldn't be trying to. Your baby has gained the complete average weight since birth, so there's no reason to be concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Is she anemic? Malnourished? Did they do blood work? Does her body mass match her height? I've learned that there are verry few Dr out there that think of a patient as a individual human, instead of a chart number. You need to be your baby's voice. Arm yourself with knowledge, & stay one step ahead of a Dr who threatens CPS. Now tell me how would formula help a baby gain weight if breastmilk is higher in calories?!? Pediatricians push formula because its a money pit & much easier on them to fill out there paper work. The Dr used to get frustrated because evertime they would ask me how many ounces my ds was eating I would say I don't know!  Talk to a IBCLC in your area, & find out if there is a LL group.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't worry about the social services threat at all. If they call, they call. Your daughter is obviously thriving and growing as she should and that's the important piece of information here. I would also keep switching docs until I found one who fit my needs. I truly think yours has good intentions but is just very uneducated in breastfeeding. Just keep doing as you have been and if CPS shows up, that's when you deal with it. No sense in wasting energy worrying over something that hasn't even happened yet. If your doctor feels like your daughter isnt being properly fed (which she obviously does even though it's unfounded), then she must document it and is then legally and morally obligated to report it. I would print all the information I could find on normal growth of a breastfed infant, why WHO charts should be used, the harm of supplementing with formula, etc and take it to her. She desperately needs educated.
pinkfairy0206
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
The dr threatened social services?? These drs I swear,un friggin real. Yes that is pretty tiny,does she seems satisfied with nursing?? Or is she still hungry not long after?? My son he 2 1/2 now was like this. They said he wasn't gaining enough and would have to put him in the hospital if he lost anymore. Okk idiot breastfed babies don't gain as much. Ugggg
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)