Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I took serenity too an acutal pedi today instead of a family dr. The last dr tried to tell me i need to force her to take formula with cereal in it to give her more calories cause she is not gaining like they want. Ive posted here a few times and from what everyone says she is gaining just fine, she is just small. But quick history she was born at 6.14 lowest got to 6.10 today she was 11.1, i have tryed to give her bottles to supplament and it dont matter what i have in them she will refuse every type of bottle, short of leaving her with someone else all day and them letting her scream till she is hungry enough to take one she will just not do it, and im not up for leaving her all day. I do not believe there is anything wrong with her but now this pedi is saying almost the SAME thing, she says i need to get more calories in her and my milk is not working good enough. SHe brought up social services. What really sucks is i live in a small area so ther are not alot of dr's, now she has seen just about all of them within an hour drive from me and they are all saying the same thing. So i called my grandma who's judgement i trust more than about anybody's and she said maybe i should just try one or two feedings a day for the next three weeks till her 6 month check and see what happens, if she doesn't have a chane in her weight then be like "i tried your way now will you leave her be" so i mixed up a little and tried it and she makes a nasty face then gags, so i added more milk to make it more runny and she still gags so im thinking shes just not ready, so now what? Do i keep trying or what? Im so fustrated and feel like giving up completly. ANd my husband dont really have any advise, he just supports any decision i make and then my mom just dont give me much support either.  I feel like im failing my baby and maybe my milk is just not good enough and maybe thats why i had this same problem with my son, once i gave in he started to gain better, and with my oldest i only nursed 3 months so never had weight issues.So far i have made it 5 1/2 months with her. She has hit all her other mile stones but her weight. I just dont know what to do.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Replies (31-39):
alikismommy
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Also if all a mother is eating is chilli and chips this is not going to give the baby the nutrients it needs I dont care what this lady says what your milk has in it is from what you eat its that simple.

Quoting alikismommy:

Again I did not say that this is for everyone or its what the experts say but I do know that what comes out of your milk is what you eat or the vitamins that are stored in your body from what you ate before then. I am not really asking you for your opinion nor do I care I am just giving this poor women some advice that may or may not help her baby gain more weight. I am telling her this though by the way becuase I have already breast feed two children with doing these things and have had no problems. I have met other mom's and they didnt do these things and didnt nurse their babies enough either becuase they did not know these things that I have learned online, from breastfeeding and pregnancy books/articles, breastfeeding classes i have taken, and my gyno okay so I dont care what a "Board Certified Lactation Consultant" has to say really becuase a degree doesnt scare me I have personal experience and personal things I have read and aquired that have taught me this so dont take mothers suggestions no matter if you like them or not I dont care and try to twist them. Not everyone has to think like you and do like you. Sometimes there is other things that people dont know about but what I have said is true and I did it.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Can you show me your proof of what you are saying? The information below is from an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant with research and evidence to back it up.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

How does a mother’s diet affect her milk?

August 2, 2011. Posted in: Mother's Diet

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Do I need to maintain a perfect diet while breastfeeding?

The short answer to this question is NO – you do not need to maintain a perfect diet in order to provide quality milk for your baby. In fact, research tells us that the quality of a mother’s diet has little influence on her milk. Nature is very forgiving – mother’s milk is designed to provide for and protect baby even in times of hardship and famine. A poor diet is more likely to affect the mother than her breastfed baby.

It’s common to hear women say that they want to wean (or not breastfeed at all) because they miss drinking coffee, or want to have an occasional glass of wine, or don’t like worrying constantly about everything they eat. Guess what? You can drink caffeinated beverages (in moderation), have an occasional drink, eat what you want and still provide your baby with the absolute best nutrition and immunological protection – mother’s own milk.

According to Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D., breastfeeding researcher and anthropologist, women throughout the world make ample amounts of quality milk while eating diets composed almost entirely of rice (or millet or sorghum) with a tiny amount of vegetables and occasional meat.

Are healthy eating habits recommended for mom? Absolutely! You will be healthier and feel better if you eat well. It is best for anyone to eat a variety of foods, in close to their naturally-occurring state, but this is not necessary for providing quality milk or for maintaining milk supply. Although it is certainly not recommended, a breastfeeding mother could live on a diet of junk food – mom would not thrive on that diet, but her milk would still meet her baby’s needs.

What IS needed for maintaining an ample supply of milk?

The main thing needed to maintain an ample milk supply is simple –
The more often and effectively your baby nurses, the more milk you will have.

Occasionally, a mother’s calorie or fluid intake can affect milk production:

• Calories: In general, you should simply listen to your body and eat to appetite – this is usually all you need to do to get the calories you need. Counting calories is rarely necessary unless you are having problems maintaining a healthy weight. Excessive dieting can reduce milk supply, but sensible dieting is generally not a problem.
  • Liquids: It is not necessary to force fluids; drinking to satisfy thirst is sufficient for most mothers. Unless you are severely dehydrated, drinking extra fluids is not beneficial, may cause discomfort, and does not increase milk supply. It is not necessary to drink only water – our bodies can utilize the water from any fluid.
  • The main message on calories and fluids — Eat when hungry & drink when thirsty.

See Do nursing mothers need extra calories or fluids? and How does milk production work? for more information.

How does my nutrient intake affect breastfeeding?

Are there any foods that I should avoid while I’m breastfeeding?

• There are NO foods that you should avoid simply because you are breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that a nursing mother eat whatever she likes, whenever she likes, in the amounts that she likes and continue to do this unless baby has an obvious reaction to a particular food.
  • It’s suggested that everyone, particularly pregnant and nursing mothers, avoid eating certain types of fish that are typically high in mercury.
  • It is a good idea to restrict caffeine and alcohol to a certain extent, but it is rarely necessary to eliminate them.
  • Some food proteins (such as cow’s milk protein or peanut protein) do pass into mother’s milk. If there is a history of food allergies in your family, you may wish to limit or eliminate the allergens common in your family.
  • Any baby might react to a particular food (although this is not very common). If baby has an obvious reaction every time you eat a certain food, it may be helpful to eliminate that food from your diet. For more information, see Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies.

Making women think that they must maintain ‘perfect’ diets in order to have thriving breastfed babies is an unnecessary obstacle to breastfeeding.

Quoting alikismommy:

carranzasfaith
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Sorry I should gave given more info. When she was born a valve in her heart did not close like it should have, they said its actually very common and usually closes on its own by 6 months. That's why the echo just to make sure it closed, most of the time when its open the doctors can hear a murmur but the doctor I took her to wed said she didn't hear anything.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HEART issues???? If so that lowers weight gain

Quoting carranzasfaith:

I don't know wht I didn't realize I don't HAVE to take her, I'm just so use to trusting doctors. I know she is setting up Serenity's echo appt but I'm thinking after that I'm just not going to take her unless I seriously have to. I take her to the health clinic for her shots and took my other two there as well. Thank you all again. The main reason I'm scared of cps is cause we live with my mom so were in a 3 bad 2 BT trailer, my mom has the master, me my husband and serenity have the second biggest and my 8yr old did and 6 yr old ds share a room with a bunkbed. So I'm scared they will not like that, I know my baby is healthy and push comes toshow I do have formula, bottles and frozen breast milk plus cereal and jars of baby food.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm just trying to be sure that the correct information is out there. You are saying that a mother HAS to eat a certain way to provide perfect milk for her baby when it is NOT true. Yes, her body takes the nutrients from her to put it into her milk. YES, she should eat healthy to keep HERSELF healthy because otherwise she will be left malnourished because everything will be taken from her muscles, bones, and nutrient stores to make perfect milk for her baby. The milk will always be perfect no matter what the mother eats. The mother would be sick long before what she eats affects her baby. This is NOT an opinion. It is what has been shown with research and evidence.

Quoting alikismommy:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this

ACTUALLY studies have shown that even starving mothers in 3rd world countries have milk that varies only slightly rom a mom on a wonderful diet.  This "lady" is an IBCLC and has tons of info and research to back up all her claims.  Do you?  Your milk is actually made from your blood NOT from what you eat.  I have been nursing for 6 years straight and helping run this group for the last 3-4...sounds like I have more experience than you...but no guess you cant believe me since you cant believe a lady who uses medical studie and research either.

This is a fact based forum, you can state your opinions as such but do not try to spew your incorrect opinions as facts, that is not tolerated!

Quoting alikismommy:

Also if all a mother is eating is chilli and chips this is not going to give the baby the nutrients it needs I dont care what this lady says what your milk has in it is from what you eat its that simple.

Quoting alikismommy:

Again I did not say that this is for everyone or its what the experts say but I do know that what comes out of your milk is what you eat or the vitamins that are stored in your body from what you ate before then. I am not really asking you for your opinion nor do I care I am just giving this poor women some advice that may or may not help her baby gain more weight. I am telling her this though by the way becuase I have already breast feed two children with doing these things and have had no problems. I have met other mom's and they didnt do these things and didnt nurse their babies enough either becuase they did not know these things that I have learned online, from breastfeeding and pregnancy books/articles, breastfeeding classes i have taken, and my gyno okay so I dont care what a "Board Certified Lactation Consultant" has to say really becuase a degree doesnt scare me I have personal experience and personal things I have read and aquired that have taught me this so dont take mothers suggestions no matter if you like them or not I dont care and try to twist them. Not everyone has to think like you and do like you. Sometimes there is other things that people dont know about but what I have said is true and I did it.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Can you show me your proof of what you are saying? The information below is from an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant with research and evidence to back it up.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

How does a mother’s diet affect her milk?

August 2, 2011. Posted in: Mother's Diet

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Do I need to maintain a perfect diet while breastfeeding?

The short answer to this question is NO – you do not need to maintain a perfect diet in order to provide quality milk for your baby. In fact, research tells us that the quality of a mother’s diet has little influence on her milk. Nature is very forgiving – mother’s milk is designed to provide for and protect baby even in times of hardship and famine. A poor diet is more likely to affect the mother than her breastfed baby.

It’s common to hear women say that they want to wean (or not breastfeed at all) because they miss drinking coffee, or want to have an occasional glass of wine, or don’t like worrying constantly about everything they eat. Guess what? You can drink caffeinated beverages (in moderation), have an occasional drink, eat what you want and still provide your baby with the absolute best nutrition and immunological protection – mother’s own milk.

According to Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D., breastfeeding researcher and anthropologist, women throughout the world make ample amounts of quality milk while eating diets composed almost entirely of rice (or millet or sorghum) with a tiny amount of vegetables and occasional meat.

Are healthy eating habits recommended for mom? Absolutely! You will be healthier and feel better if you eat well. It is best for anyone to eat a variety of foods, in close to their naturally-occurring state, but this is not necessary for providing quality milk or for maintaining milk supply. Although it is certainly not recommended, a breastfeeding mother could live on a diet of junk food – mom would not thrive on that diet, but her milk would still meet her baby’s needs.

What IS needed for maintaining an ample supply of milk?

The main thing needed to maintain an ample milk supply is simple –
The more often and effectively your baby nurses, the more milk you will have.

Occasionally, a mother’s calorie or fluid intake can affect milk production:

• Calories: In general, you should simply listen to your body and eat to appetite – this is usually all you need to do to get the calories you need. Counting calories is rarely necessary unless you are having problems maintaining a healthy weight. Excessive dieting can reduce milk supply, but sensible dieting is generally not a problem.
  • Liquids: It is not necessary to force fluids; drinking to satisfy thirst is sufficient for most mothers. Unless you are severely dehydrated, drinking extra fluids is not beneficial, may cause discomfort, and does not increase milk supply. It is not necessary to drink only water – our bodies can utilize the water from any fluid.
  • The main message on calories and fluids — Eat when hungry & drink when thirsty.

See Do nursing mothers need extra calories or fluids? and How does milk production work? for more information.

How does my nutrient intake affect breastfeeding?

Are there any foods that I should avoid while I’m breastfeeding?

• There are NO foods that you should avoid simply because you are breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that a nursing mother eat whatever she likes, whenever she likes, in the amounts that she likes and continue to do this unless baby has an obvious reaction to a particular food.
  • It’s suggested that everyone, particularly pregnant and nursing mothers, avoid eating certain types of fish that are typically high in mercury.
  • It is a good idea to restrict caffeine and alcohol to a certain extent, but it is rarely necessary to eliminate them.
  • Some food proteins (such as cow’s milk protein or peanut protein) do pass into mother’s milk. If there is a history of food allergies in your family, you may wish to limit or eliminate the allergens common in your family.
  • Any baby might react to a particular food (although this is not very common). If baby has an obvious reaction every time you eat a certain food, it may be helpful to eliminate that food from your diet. For more information, see Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies.

Making women think that they must maintain ‘perfect’ diets in order to have thriving breastfed babies is an unnecessary obstacle to breastfeeding.

Quoting alikismommy:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

OK but just saying that couldve led to  slightly lower weight gain to start off with...that should be taken into consideration

Quoting carranzasfaith:

Sorry I should gave given more info. When she was born a valve in her heart did not close like it should have, they said its actually very common and usually closes on its own by 6 months. That's why the echo just to make sure it closed, most of the time when its open the doctors can hear a murmur but the doctor I took her to wed said she didn't hear anything.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HEART issues???? If so that lowers weight gain

Quoting carranzasfaith:

I don't know wht I didn't realize I don't HAVE to take her, I'm just so use to trusting doctors. I know she is setting up Serenity's echo appt but I'm thinking after that I'm just not going to take her unless I seriously have to. I take her to the health clinic for her shots and took my other two there as well. Thank you all again. The main reason I'm scared of cps is cause we live with my mom so were in a 3 bad 2 BT trailer, my mom has the master, me my husband and serenity have the second biggest and my 8yr old did and 6 yr old ds share a room with a bunkbed. So I'm scared they will not like that, I know my baby is healthy and push comes toshow I do have formula, bottles and frozen breast milk plus cereal and jars of baby food.

Jenndill
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Oh my word! I started out at one ped and they said she wasn't gaining enough. They even scared me to death asking me if I had a history of cystic fibrosis in my family. They were pushing supplementation with formula on me. I switched pediatricians immediately, and she gained weight just fine. Most peds don't have the training to understand breastfeeding. They rely on weight values from formula fed babies.

You are doing fine!
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM
1 mom liked this
This group in particular is more about facts when there are medical issues and doctors involved. Im not trying to start with you or anything, but when women post questions about the medical side of breastfeeding and their child's health they are looking for fact based answers. It is a site for making friends and meeting other moms, but when someone has a medical question they want answers form people that know what they're talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thriftymom35
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I too have heard the baby gets what they need and if there's not enough it just hurts the mom by depleting her stores. But let's try and not get nasty if someone disagrees......could we keep it on the positive??
back40mama
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I too say that if she looks healthy then don't push formula and cereal. You know best by living with your child, being her mommy if she is fine. Every baby is different as to how the develop, gain weight, etc. When she start to refuse eating all together and shows signs of distress, then you know you have a problem. Use your best judgement and instincts. But keep going to your doc. for normal check ups.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)