Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is one bottle once a week a bad idea?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 19 Replies
I plan to exclusively BF my baby, due in January. However, after 6-8 weeks (or whenever I feel like its going well and we're ready) I would like to give him/her a bottle once a week, to keep the baby familiar with bottles and give DH a chance to feed him/her. I really want to go to a year and I think not having the burden of being the ONLY feeding option will go a long way for my stress levels. I'll be pumping milk for the bottle we give. Will one bottle once a week mess too much with my supply, or give baby a flow preference? Are there any things I need to watch out for? I really want to find a happy medium here. Thanks for the advice!
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Sure if baby takes it.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

For some babies, one bottle will; but for most, one bottle will be fine after that first 6-8 weeks.  Make sure that you follow the rules about baby being fed slowly, with a newborn nipple, burped every ounce, and that you are in another room pumping while that bottle is given (or that you go out and have some "me time" and pump just before you leave).

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
It should be fine, many moms pump so they can work. I would definitely start researching about bottle feeding a bf baby and make sure I'd dad doesn't that you can relay the info to him. To my understanding over feeding is the biggest issue. Also for best success I wouldn't plan on being home during that time, babies can get frustrated if someone if trying to give a bottle and they can sense mom is home.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM
If thata what you want to do, then make sure breastfeeding is well established before introducing a bottle, and have someone else give the bottle while you are out if the room.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It's not bad. Just not needed. You can go straight to a cup and reserve it strictly for when you are not there. In any event, alternate feedings are for when you are NOT there. Babies will often refuse bottles given by mom. We've also frequently seen moms introduce a bottle "to get baby used to it" and then after weeks of taking one, baby refuses from all comers.

So? I wouldn't bother. It's extra work. Leave it for the caregiver.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Daddies can do so many other things to bond besides feeding that will give you more of a break--baths, walks, rocking, playing, dancing, singing.
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

You can.  It's really not a big deal.  It can give you that extra time to do whatever when you need to.  Run errands? Sleep? Take a bath?  

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
This.

My baby won't take a bottle he will hold out for me.

Even if your introduce it early and often babes can decide they don't like bottles.

There are other ways dad can bond with baby if that is what you are concerned about. And just from personal experience, my dh and DS didn't bond much at all when he tried to give him a bottle. DS was more frustrated with dh than anything and the whole time DS looked at dh like "umm I don't want you I don't want this plastic thing I want my boobie!"

But if you plan on being away anyways, then by means give baby a bottle when you aren't there. But babies (even young ones at 6-8 weeks) have a strong sense of smell. If your baby is able to smell you they may not take the bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

It's not bad. Just not needed. You can go straight to a cup and reserve it strictly for when you are not there. In any event, alternate feedings are for when you are NOT there. Babies will often refuse bottles given by mom. We've also frequently seen moms introduce a bottle "to get baby used to it" and then after weeks of taking one, baby refuses from all comers.

So? I wouldn't bother. It's extra work. Leave it for the caregiver.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

There's a big possibility baby won't take bottle if you're in the house. Speaking from just the experience of dh's first bottle for ds... You need to leave. Go see a movie with friends, go get mani/pedis whatever you choose to do OUTSIDE of the house. Feed right before you leave then plan to stay gone an hour past when lo would typically nurse again so lo nurses every 2 hrs, stay gone 3 and have dh offer a bottle at the 2 hr mark or when lo starts showing signs of hunger.

But just don't go too far because not all babies take to bottles if they are ebf.

Koux
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
The idea is to have my husband give her a bottle during church, while I'm teaching my Sunday School class (which is only an hour long). That way he can try and if she absolutely won't take it, I can feed her when I'm done. So technically I'll be in the same building, but different rooms.

With my previous baby we tried only giving bottles "occasionally" when we went out, and it didn't work. She took them well the first few times, then we didn't do it for a few weeks and she never liked them again. We're hoping that by doing it regularly it will help keep that skill up. I know there's still a chance baby will refuse bottles anyway, but it's worth a try, right?

Thanks for all the tips! :) I'll keep all this in mind!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)