Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Still not gaining weight... *added info*

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Audri was born July 2nd. C-section birth. 7lbs 4oz. At day 2 she was 6lbs 11oz. Day 6 6lbs 3oz. Day 11 6lbs 4oz. Day 16 still 6lbs 4oz. She only poops once a day, and wets maybe 3 times, but doesn't fuss between feedings or act hungry in between them either. My breasts get fuller if she goes more than 2 hours without feeding and they leak in shower or on side I am not feeding her on so I believe my supply is fine. Should I worry? Anything I can do to make my milk fattier? I currently feed her one breasts each feeding and let her go as long as she wants because I heard hindmilk is fattier and they don't get that til the end of feeding. Any advice or similar stories would be appreciated. I am a first time ebf and worry all the time. My boys were all 8 pounders and got back to birth weight in like a week so I worry a lot about my little girl being so small.

She feeds every 2-3 hours. But at night she's hit 4 even 5 hours once. Dr n 2 wic n 1 lll person all said she's not tongue tied. She sleeps a lot.  She spends maybe an hour total a day awake.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
About how often is she feeding. To me the diapers send up red flags. She needs to have six to eight diapers a day including two quarter sized poops. Does she sleep all the time? Does she have wakeful active times?
ptowncards05
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Is there a lip or tongue tie?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM
SHes not getting enough diapers..offer that second breast every feed, dont make her stop on the first one but offer the second every feed. By this point we should be seeing a gain.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Don't let her go more than 2 hours without nursing until she is back to birth weight. When shes done on one side, switch to the other.You should be seeing more wet and dirty diapers at this point. I don't doubt that you have good supply but it doesn't sound like she's eating often enough. After she starts gaining and is back to birth weight then you can follow her cues and demand.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM
How is her behavior at breast? Does she latch on well? Does she fall asleep after only a few sucks? Look up ties on kellymom.com. The articles have pictures which may help you identify if tie(s) are present.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM
You need to wake her to eat every 1.5 To 2 hours for now. You should try just going without a shirt, getting into bed, baby in diaper, lots of skin to skin and everytime she wiggles offer your breast.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I completely agree with this!

Quoting stepconfused182:

Don't let her go more than 2 hours without nursing until she is back to birth weight. When shes done on one side, switch to the other.You should be seeing more wet and dirty diapers at this point. I don't doubt that you have good supply but it doesn't sound like she's eating often enough. After she starts gaining and is back to birth weight then you can follow her cues and demand.

Momof5kids84
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM
I really don't think that she's feeding often enough. Offer both breasts multiple times if you can during each feeding. Strip her down, apply wet washcloth, anything to wake her. She should two to three times the amount of wet diapers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)