Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why can't he understand?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 21 Replies
That our 2 month old only needs breast milk?

My DH wants to start feeding our 2 month old DS baby food, baby cereal, and some adult table foods like mashed potatoes. He also wants to give him formula again. He keeps pushing it and pushing it. He keeps saying things like that it will make him sleep better and longer at night, he won't be as hungry/ eating as often, it will make him happier because he won't be as hungry, and it won't make him as gassy. The other day I caught him dipping his finger in ice cream and sticking it in our 2 month olds mouth and dipping his pacifier in tea and giving it to him. He just won't quit. As a result my DS doesn't nurse as often as he used to, especially after my DH has him. He thinks giving him stuff like that will help me by giving me a break from nursing all of the time, even after failed attempts of telling him that if I had to I would nurse 24/7 just to give my son the best.

How can I make him realize that our DS doesn't need anything other than breast milk? I am so tired of being alone in this decision of only giving him breast milk. I have fought and fought to make my point and stand my ground on not giving in anymore, and all that does is start fights and "secrets" (he gives him stuff when I'm not around or he thinks I'm not paying attention). I have caught him or found out through my oldest telling me that he did.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Even most pediatricians would not say that he needs anything other than breastmilk. You should probably not leave him alone with the baby. Get a sling or wrap and wear him. Kellymom.com and the resources sticky have loads of information on when to start solids, how to tell if baby is getting enough, virgin gut, sleep patterns. Refer him also to "Becoming a Father" by Dr. William Sears. Co-sleep in another room with the baby. Let him know he is seriously risking his child's health by his actions ; he could cause GI issues, allergic reactions, and set him up for diabetes.
emmy526
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Another idea is to have the dr talk to him about how bad for his little tummy is, what he's doing...and, you should  print out some articles to give to him about feeding babies too early, and waiting for solids, and breast is best type kinds of things to read...tell him since he is SO interested in feeding the baby, he should know about proper nutrition--make it seem like you're educating him, instead of nagging him.  

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I would have left or had temporary break up if he kept doing it. Don't leave him alone with the baby. Tell him to stop.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Take him to the pedi. Have him tell the pedi what he's been feeding your child. If your pedi has half a brain he will rip him a new one. Maybe then he will understand. And have you told him that potatoes and ice cream don't have the nutrients a baby needs? I'm sure he wouldn't want him to become mslnourished from not getting enough breast milk.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM
And if he continues I agree with mama-smurf.... I'd leave.
twogirl91
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Have him go to the pedi with you, even most of them will say hold off on solids until 4-6 months.

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Husband or not, he wouldn't be alone with the baby anymore.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Husband or not, he wouldn't be alone with the baby anymore.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I wouldnt laeve him alone with the baby period. AAP and WHO say nothing but BM til 6 months, even peds say 4 months most times..
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Agree with everything everyone said.  And I would add that baby could have an allergic reaction or aspirate on something VERY easily right now.  Inform him that what he's doing is not only terrible for the child but potentially deadly.

he would never be alone with the baby, period. If my dh were doing that and refused to listen to reason and behave I would leave him, immediately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN