Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

About to give up on breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have been trying to breastfeed ny son for almost a week. He will be a week tomorrow. He does not see to get comfortable in any position that I put him in. He will take the breast and then unlatch screaming and then get so upset I have to give him a bottle to eat. Do any of you have advice. My milk has come in. 

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM
When did he start getting bottles? It sounds like a nipple preference.
emmy526
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

keep trying...it sounds like he is frustrated because the milk  doesn't flow like a bottle-breastfeeding takes more work on his part...don't give him a bottle anymore, or you could cause nipple confusion, resulting in rejection of breast altogether.  

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I think you may have overactive letdown/ oversupply. Stop the bottles. He has developed a nipple preference and you want to end that. Recline back in bed or chair, put him on top of you with his mouth over the nipple. This will slow down the flow a bit. At this stage, he should be on the breast most of the time. Look at the article on kellymom.com in overactive letdown. It gives additional information and things you can do to manage this.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
He has nipple/flow preference caused by bottles. He knows if hr cries hard enough he'll get the easy way out.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Have you seen a lactation consultant or sought out help in person? Usually someone trained with BFing can help point out what the issues is. When a young baby gets a bottle they will refuse to nurse
BoxxyBabee
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I dont think a 1 week old knows that lol

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

He has nipple/flow preference caused by bottles. He knows if hr cries hard enough he'll get the easy way out.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Yes. A one week old can figure that out. That's why they don't suggest using a bottle until at least six weeks.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

BlessedMammaof2
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I agree it sounds like a bottle preference and/or over active letdown. I would do away with bottles. I've been dealing with OAL and oversupply and it's been discouraging but it has become manageable over the past week. My son is five weeks old. He would pull off the breast choking, coughing, and would scream and throw up for hours after nursing. I've been latching him until I letdown and then unlatching until it stops shooting out. I nurse in a reclined position. I also am block feeding. Kellymom.com does have some helpful resources.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Actually, yes, they do. Cause and effect is the first thing we figure out. 

Cause: I cry.

Effect: I get bottle and don't have to work for food.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)