Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice on Latching

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 8 Replies

I need advice on latching my 3 week old son.  I really want to breastfeed and I know this is late, but when we were at the hospital after he was born the lactation consultant did not make sure our latch was correct when we left.  This is my first child and I didn't know any better.  So of course he was biting/sucking on my nipples and I couldn't take it anymore after 4 days so my husband gave him a bottle.  I've tried to breastfeed a few times since then, but he gets frustrated that the milk is much slower than the bottle.  Pumping doesn't yield much results and also makes my nipples sore.  Yesterday I tried latching him again and he drank until the milk was either too slow or stopped.  At that point I had to give him a bottle because he was still hungry.  I can't go cold turkey on the bottles because he's still hungry after nursing.  I tried nursing in the middle of the night and my nipples were sore again, even though I used nipple cream.  I've watched videos on YouTube about latching/nursing, but we just can't seem to get it.  He isn't tongue tied, but seems to not open his mouth very wide.  Tried waiting until he cried and opening his bottom jaw, neither worked.  I can't afford a lactation consultant right now so any advice would be helpful, thank you.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Tickle his nose with your nipple, move down across his lips toward his chin-- when he opens wide, pull him onto your breast. If it hurts, unlatch and try again. It.will take some work. Unfortunately, many hospital LC's are nurses who have only an hour or two in training. You may want to look for an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant; such a professional has years of coursework and countless hours of practical application. Also look at kellymom.com for articles on latching and tongue/lip ties which can also affect latching if present. Lots of pictures to help you.
heathercara
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Have u tried different positions? I could only get a good latch holding dd football style. Hold him very close to your body kind of wrap him around ur side. This way I was able to have my nipple in the right position. Good luck
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Waiting until baby cries rarely works because baby puts his tongue to the roof of his mouth. He needs to be relaxed and etend his tongue forward to get a good latch.

Spend lots of time skin to skin, with baby in only a diaper on your bare chest and wait for him to start to root and find the breast.

Try offering the breast between feedings when he is not hungry.

Try giving him about 3/4 of his feeding by bottle then latching him on the breast. Click here to learn more about the “finish at the breast” method

You can also see if he will latch with a nipple shield.

Great info here Luring the Resistant Baby to the Breast, Baby Led Latching and the Breast Crawl

You are not too late at all. My DD was 100% bottle fed for the first few weeks then took the breast.

alegna212
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I took your advice and the latch was a little better.  I ended up finding a Le Leche League meeting and there was a real lactation consultant there who helped us latch.  We have been practicing ever since.  And KellyMom is a great resource!  Thank you!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Tickle his nose with your nipple, move down across his lips toward his chin-- when he opens wide, pull him onto your breast. If it hurts, unlatch and try again. It.will take some work. Unfortunately, many hospital LC's are nurses who have only an hour or two in training. You may want to look for an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant; such a professional has years of coursework and countless hours of practical application. Also look at kellymom.com for articles on latching and tongue/lip ties which can also affect latching if present. Lots of pictures to help you.

alegna212
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I had originally tried football, but cross cradle has worked best.  One thing I was doing wrong was holding the back of his head opposed to the back of his neck and he was pushing away.  Holding him close definitely helped.  Thank you!

Quoting heathercara:

Have u tried different positions? I could only get a good latch holding dd football style. Hold him very close to your body kind of wrap him around ur side. This way I was able to have my nipple in the right position. Good luck

alegna212
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

We've been working on skin to skin and he has rooted once or twice, which is good.  I try to nurse when he shows signs of hunger opposed to waiting until he's crying.  I have also tried giving him 3/4 of the bottle and then nursing, which works pretty good most of the time.  The nipple shield leaks so I try not to use it.  Thank you for the links, about to read them now.  Thank you!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Waiting until baby cries rarely works because baby puts his tongue to the roof of his mouth. He needs to be relaxed and etend his tongue forward to get a good latch.

Spend lots of time skin to skin, with baby in only a diaper on your bare chest and wait for him to start to root and find the breast.

Try offering the breast between feedings when he is not hungry.

Try giving him about 3/4 of his feeding by bottle then latching him on the breast. Click here to learn more about the “finish at the breast” method

You can also see if he will latch with a nipple shield.

Great info here Luring the Resistant Baby to the Breast, Baby Led Latching and the Breast Crawl

You are not too late at all. My DD was 100% bottle fed for the first few weeks then took the breast.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Lots of good info above. Just want ot add: Three weeks? Not late at all. We've seen moms start MUCH later.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Along with the awesome advice above, try breast massage and compressions while nursing to get the milk flowing a bit more for him. You're doing great already!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN