Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Using deodorant while breastfeeding is bad?!

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 53 Replies
I just heard today that breastfeeding while using deodorant is bad because it has aluminum in it. I cant believe how many secret dangers there are. I've used deodorant my whole pregnancy and 4 months of breastfeeding.
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
4 moms liked this
Tom's of Maine is aluminium free :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
5 moms liked this

If you think about it like that, just about EVERYTHING that we do and use can be bad while nursing.  Deodorants aren't really good for us to use in general. Everything in our bodies is filtered before it gets to our babies through the milk. Anything that is used topical really doesn't get into the milk because it has to pass through our skin before it gets into the blood, then it goes through the rest of our body before it goes to the breasts to be made into milk.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Most deodorant is bad for you regardless of whether or not your breastfeeding.  Tom's is aluminum free or I usually just use baking soda.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

You'd think not using deodrant would be worse, especially in the summer.  >.>

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Or you can make some homemade...I've used both these recipies before and they both work pretty well.

Natural Homemade Deodorant 291x300 How to Make Natural Deodorant  Beating the B.O. With Natural Deo

Healthy Homemade Deodorant

Recipe 1- What You Need:

Note: You can get all the ingredients here.

What to do:

How to make nautral deoderant 300x225 How to Make Natural Deodorant  Beating the B.O. With Natural Deo

1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat until barely melted. UPDATE: Combine in a quart size glass mason jar with a lid instead and place this in a small saucepan of water until melted. This will save your bowl and you can just designate this jar for these type of projects and not even need to wash it out…
  2. Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot (If you don’t have arrowroot, use more baking soda)
  3. Mix well
  4. Add essential oils and pour into a glass container for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge.
  5. If you prefer, you can let it cool completely and put into an old deodorant stick for easier use, though it may melt in the summer!

If you don’t have all those ingredients around, or don’t want to wash a double boiler, this recipe is faster and easier:
Natural Homemade Deodorant Recipe Ingredients How to Make Natural Deodorant  Beating the B.O. With Natural Deo

Recipe 2- What you Need

What to Do:

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Mash in coconut oil with a fork until well mixed.
  3. Add oils if desired.
  4. Store in small glass jar or old deodorant container for easy use.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Aluminum in deodorant when you;re NOT BFing is bad for you, IMO.  I make my own deodorant.  But I agree with aehanrahan.  ANYTHING we do can be considered "dangerous".  You have to choose your battles in this day in age.  This IS one of my battles.  I don't put things in or on my body that have chemicals like aluminum.  Any my shampoos are organic and sometimes I JUST use baking soda and vinegar as "shampoo".

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

How would not using it be worse?

Quoting Rhodin:

CafeMom Tickers

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Haha I'm thinking she's referring to the body odor and excessive sweating that would be going on :)

Quoting jackiewal10:

How would not using it be worse?

Quoting Rhodin:

Corina1987
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Lol I kno! I don't want to be stinky :-)

Quoting Rhodin:

Corina1987
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Thanx!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Tom's of Maine is aluminium free :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)