Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting frustrated. Any advice??

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 20 Replies
My son is almost 12 weeks old and EBF. I have to go back to work in 6 weeks, so we are trying to introduce the bottle since I'll be gone for 5 1/2 hours. The problem is... HE HATES THE BOTTLE! He flat out refuses to take it. He screams and screams. We've tried Avent, cheap Gerber, and Tommee Tippee bottles. We've tried me not being home, me being home, wrapping him in a shirt of mine, everything we can think of!! I'm so frustrated and worried that he's going to scream the whole time that I'm gone. My hubby already feels like Malcolm hates him because he cries every time Daddy holds him. It's even worse when I'm gone. My hubby is feeling very inadequate.
Please give me suggestions, advice, anything that might help!!
Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stressedmama24
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Have you tried Playtex Nursers? Or Nuk? They are the only two kinds my kids would take. Just keep trying. He will take it. Babies will eat from a bottle if they have to. But will always prefer mommy. Good luck. It does get easier.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
You can cup feed, spoon feed, syringe feed, use a sippy cup without a valve. There are many options but mostly dad is going to have to find his own way to sooth Malcolm. He can try singing, rocking. Swaying, offering a finger to suck on, walking around the block in the stroller, baby wearing.... just ideas.
summer11baby
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
My daughter loves the momma bottles made by lansinoh. Have you tried those?
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I'm not sure about the bottle. But, your dh is not alone. My oldest and youngest didn't seem to like dh for a couple months. He would talk to them and play with them while I held them bc they would scream when he had them. All 3 kids (5, 3 and 10months) love dh now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I haven't tried those. I pick up a new brand of bottle every time I go to Target. I looked at the Nuk brand, but didn't get them because he hates the orthodontic nipple on the pacifiers, so I figured he'd hate that too. Maybe he'll take it if he tastes the liquid gold that's inside of the bottle. I'll try them too.

Quoting stressedmama24:

Have you tried Playtex Nursers? Or Nuk? They are the only two kinds my kids would take. Just keep trying. He will take it. Babies will eat from a bottle if they have to. But will always prefer mommy. Good luck. It does get easier.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I told him that he may have to syringe feed and he said that he's fine with doing whatever it takes for Mal to eat. But, lets face it, a bottle will be much easier for him.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You can cup feed, spoon feed, syringe feed, use a sippy cup without a valve. There are many options but mostly dad is going to have to find his own way to sooth Malcolm. He can try singing, rocking. Swaying, offering a finger to suck on, walking around the block in the stroller, baby wearing.... just ideas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jrsmommy614
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Have you tried Madela bottles?
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I've never even heard of those! I'll have to look them up online.

Quoting summer11baby:

My daughter loves the momma bottles made by lansinoh. Have you tried those?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Not yet. Those are on my list of bottles to try also. I have a feeling that my cupboards are going to be overflowing with all sorts of bottles before I find one that he likes!

Quoting Jrsmommy614:

Have you tried Madela bottles?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
He could try finger feeding too. It busy be easier than syringe.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/alternative-feeding/

Tons of other options!

Quoting jeniprice:

I told him that he may have to syringe feed and he said that he's fine with doing whatever it takes for Mal to eat. But, lets face it, a bottle will be much easier for him.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)