Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Losing supply only on one side

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi mamas, I have an interesting issue. My daughter is almost 6 months and I am EBF. She always has preferred one breast over the other and around 4 months I started just letting her nurse on the breast she prefers rather than struggle with trying to get her latched on when she fought it every time. I then would try to pump on the other side. I now have lost most of my milk from that one breast as a result and I can't pump more than an ounce from it at a time. They are extremely different in size...now I have a firm C on one side that will still engorge occasionally and a flat B cup on the other that never engorges but still occasionally leaks. I have 2 older children and it's very hard for me to pump every 2 hours to try and re-establish the supply. I am drinking Mother's milk tea and taking fenugreek, not because I feel supply is a problem per se but because I will be doing some traveling starting next month that will keep me from her for 7-8 hours a day a few times a month and I need to make sure I have enough freezer milk. My question is this: since I can't really get my supply back up in that one breast, will I start to lose milk in my producing one? The breast she prefers is supplying enough milk, and when I can pump it, I can get up to 4 ounces at a time from it. I do have difficulty pumping it because I just can't get letdown easily with a pump (I am a SAHM and I think a pump is just too mechanical for my body to get "tricked" into letting down). I want to breastfeed her until she self weans but she won't take the "lame" boob hardly ever. Has anyone ever just continued nursing their baby from only one breast and stayed successfully EBF? Thank you!!  :)

P.S. She is gaining weight fine and is in 90th percentile for height and weight right now. :)

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Nursing from one breast is completely fine. And your breasts are like completely different organisms: what happens on one side will not affect the other (in most cases anyways) so your supply on the nursing boob will be fine. And for the letdown with a pump, try keeping a pic of baby nearby and maybe even take a recording of her fussing next time she's upset... it'll help "trick" your brain.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I would start using the other boob for sleepy times. Ds went through a phase like that too, but I refused to be that lopsided. I think it was around six months when he did it too. You can definitely continue like that, but I chose not to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
An ounce on the "lame" side is actually right in the middle of normal output. The other side is just the overproducer. Normal output for BOTH sides is 0.5-2 oz combined.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Each breast works individually, so having no milk inone side will not make the other side produce less. Most moms have no problem providing a full milk supply from one breast (think of all of themom s nursing twins!) If you are able to feed and pump enough from the one "good" side, then you can just leave the other side alone. 

sandemama
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Does she have any issues turning her head to one side or maybe being able to turn it further in one direction?  There could be something physical that makes it uncomfortable on the one side.  My chiropractor told me that only being able to nurse from one side can be a sign that something isn't aligned right and a chiropractic adjustment might help.  It's more like a little massage for a baby.  They don't have to twist & crack like they do with adults.  Also I had a friend whose child would only turn one way, so she did a football hold to nurse on the other side.

3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think it is because my nipple on that side isn't as easy to latch on to. It's not inverted but the left side sticks out further while the right is sort of sloped. My last nursling preferred my other breast also. I have tried the football hold but it doesn't really make a difference-she fights latching on that side unless she's really tired or not super hungry. It might also be because she is used to nursing always on the left side when we go to sleep since I put myself on the outside of the bed and her in the middle.

Thanks, mamas for the advice and reassurances!! I had to wean my last daughter at six months because I lost my milk when I went to work. I am determined to nurse this girl to a year and beyond so I appreciate the help!  :)

Quoting sandemama:

Does she have any issues turning her head to one side or maybe being able to turn it further in one direction?  There could be something physical that makes it uncomfortable on the one side.  My chiropractor told me that only being able to nurse from one side can be a sign that something isn't aligned right and a chiropractic adjustment might help.  It's more like a little massage for a baby.  They don't have to twist & crack like they do with adults.  Also I had a friend whose child would only turn one way, so she did a football hold to nurse on the other side.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

1 ounce from one breast is great output. But it's not a big deal if she only nurses from one breast. If you are gone 7 hours all you need is 7 ounces. 1 ounce per hour gone. If she nurses well before you leave, you might not even need that much. At 6+ months alot of babies reverse cycle and don't take any or very little milk while mom is gone. Nothing to worry about! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN