Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm frustrated and need some advice.

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 7 Replies

Our daughter is almost 10 months old.  She is EBF and has started solids (fruits, veggies, some pureed meats, etc.)

The problem is that I am at my wits end with breastfeeding.  When she was born, she latched almost immediately, but I always had issues with her feeding on my right breast.  It was painful and uncomfortable, but I toughed it out and after about 6 weeks it got better.  Until about 4 weeks ago.  It was about the same time as her teeth came in.  Now it hurts like hell to feed her on my right side.  It isn't just the nipple (although that seems to be taking a beating) but rather my whole breast.  It aches when I am not feeding her and feels like it is on fire when she is nursing.  I have actually screamed once or twice when she has first latched on.

It has gotten to the point where I have to pump from that side and then bottle feed her just because it is a little less painful than having her nurse.  I have purchased some cooling gel pads to help with the pain too.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?  She bites every now and then, but this pain isn't the same.  I checked her throat and she doesn't appear to have thrush (and wouldn't I have it on both sides if that were the case?)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
You could have thrush and it not be showing in her mouth yet. Could it be vasospasms? Are your nipples blanched when she unlatches?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/
LDavis33
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Thanks for that.  After reading, I think I might have a blocked duct.  I had those when she was wee little, but for some reason I didn't think you could get them (or mastitis) when babies were older.  I'm gonna try some home treatments that worked when she was little and see if they help.  

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
You can get blocked ducts and mastitis anytime you're lactating. I got mastitis when ds was 11.5 months. Another woman in this group got mastitis at I think 18 months.

Quoting LDavis33:

Thanks for that.  After reading, I think I might have a blocked duct.  I had those when she was wee little, but for some reason I didn't think you could get them (or mastitis) when babies were older.  I'm gonna try some home treatments that worked when she was little and see if they help.  

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Sounds like masitis to me. Do you have a fever? Is your breast red or streaked? I had it once following a blocked duct and it was excruciating. If warm compresses don't help within a few days you should get it checked out.

cmj33
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Is it your nipple that hurts and burns or your boob? My boob was always hot and burned and turns out I had mastitis. Also in the right boob.

thriftymom35
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Hugs mama, that sounds so painful........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)