Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

not pumping enough

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
I returned to work yesterday. I was unable to prepare a "stash" of bm so my son(7weeks) of formula yesterday. Within the 8hrs I worked he drank 12oz of formula. I am only able to pump twice while at work. I feed him before I leave which is 6:00am. I pumped 10:30 and 2:00... I only got 2.5oz each time. Is my pump output low is he eating too much in 8hrs? I've been ebf for a few weeks now so I'm not sure how much he normallly eat because when I was supplementing I only supplemented 3oz a day
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM
He only needs 8-10 ounces or so a day while you're gone. And you'll need to arrange a few times throughout your work day to pump. Are you pumping in the morning before you go to work?

Why did you supplement to begin with? (As in before going back to work)
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I agree with above.  Start pumping every morning (days off included).  You can pump either before, after or during a nursing session.  Also your pump output is above normal for both breasts combined for a missed nursing session.  Normal is .5oz-2ozs total.  Also look into a 3rd pumping session at work.  You need to pump every 2-3 hours when away from baby.  So for an 8 hour shift you really need to pump at least 3 times. 

sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I'm a cna so its really hard to get a few minutes ... No I'm just feeding him before i leave... When I tried to pump after feeding Ididnt get anything..
I was supplementing because I was doubting myself I thought I wasn't producing enough

Quoting Ptitchou:

He only needs 8-10 ounces or so a day while you're gone. And you'll need to arrange a few times throughout your work day to pump. Are you pumping in the morning before you go to work?

Why did you supplement to begin with? (As in before going back to work)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Oh wow... I thought since I waited so long in between to pump that it would've been more. When I tried to pump after feeding I didn't get anything. Will he still be able to nurse if I pump before?

Quoting shortyali:

I agree with above.  Start pumping every morning (days off included).  You can pump either before, after or during a nursing session.  Also your pump output is above normal for both breasts combined for a missed nursing session.  Normal is .5oz-2ozs total.  Also look into a 3rd pumping session at work.  You need to pump every 2-3 hours when away from baby.  So for an 8 hour shift you really need to pump at least 3 times. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Yeah he will get some. He won't be happy because he will have to work for it. I work 7-1 so heres what my schedule looks like, just as an example. I nurse at 5am then shower and get ready for work. I pump at 6 for 10ish min. Then pump only 1 time at work (I'm pt at 6 hours an could pump more if I needed to but I'm pretty regulated now at 8 months that I don't have to). Then I nurse one side and pump the other when I get home at 1:30. Also my DS2 has decided that he is due with only 3ozs total while I'm gone (maybe 5 times total he has taken more) so that helps a lot.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy:

Oh wow... I thought since I waited so long in between to pump that it would've been more. When I tried to pump after feeding I didn't get anything. Will he still be able to nurse if I pump before?

Quoting shortyali:

LilliansMama27
by Candy on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

He's getting WAY too much in bottles. 1 to 1.25oz of bm per hour you're away from your baby. NO MORE. Breast = FEAST while Bottle = FAMINE. This is how you preserve your supply (otherwise you're on a slippery slope to ending your breastfeeding relationship with all that formula supplementation). Just curious, Why all formula if you're pumping? And your pump output is normal. Even slightly above normal (.5 to 2 oz per pumping session). Do your caregivers know how to bottle feed a breastfed baby? http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/employed-moms/childcare-breastfed-baby/

ETA: I read through the posts and I understand now why you were supplementing ;) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM
It's hard to pump in the morning. I'm just getting back into the groove of working but I'm going to try to make atleast pumping for 10 min part of my routine

Quoting shortyali:

Yeah he will get some. He won't be happy because he will have to work for it. I work 7-1 so heres what my schedule looks like, just as an example. I nurse at 5am then shower and get ready for work. I pump at 6 for 10ish min. Then pump only 1 time at work (I'm pt at 6 hours an could pump more if I needed to but I'm pretty regulated now at 8 months that I don't have to). Then I nurse one side and pump the other when I get home at 1:30. Also my DS2 has decided that he is due with only 3ozs total while I'm gone (maybe 5 times total he has taken more) so that helps a lot.

Quoting sha-sha_mommy:

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha-sha_mommy
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I definitely don't want to end breastfeeding I'm trying to do everything to keep it up.. that's why I have so many questions.. lol... I feel better knowing my output is normal I start to get discouraged when I see so little because with ds1 I was able to get a full bottle from one breast.. but that was 7 yrs ago so I'm so lost ... I only Bf him for 3months and gave up I'm really hoping I make it atleast 1yr this time

Quoting LilliansMama27:

He's getting WAY too much in bottles. 1 to 1.25oz of bm per hour you're away from your baby. NO MORE. Breast = FEAST while Bottle = FAMINE. This is how you preserve your supply (otherwise you're on a slippery slope to ending your breastfeeding relationship with all that formula supplementation). Just curious, Why all formula if you're pumping? And your pump output is normal. Even slightly above normal (.5 to 2 oz per pumping session). Do your caregivers know how to bottle feed a breastfed baby? http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/employed-moms/childcare-breastfed-baby/

ETA: I read through the posts and I understand now why you were supplementing ;) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Try pumping while he nurses. Do this on your days off too. Also depending on how far you have to drive to work try pumping and driving using a hands free bra and a cover up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

2.5oz IS a "full" bottle.   ;) 

Quoting sha-sha_mommy:

I definitely don't want to end breastfeeding I'm trying to do everything to keep it up.. that's why I have so many questions.. lol... I feel better knowing my output is normal I start to get discouraged when I see so little because with ds1 I was able to get a full bottle from one breast.. but that was 7 yrs ago so I'm so lost ... I only Bf him for 3months and gave up I'm really hoping I make it atleast 1yr this time

Quoting LilliansMama27:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)