Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tough Decision.... Input please. (Kinda Long)

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 17 Replies

So breastfeeding has been a long road for me and my son. In the hospital it was great, he definitely favored one side though. He slowly decided he didn't want to eat unless it was with a shield, which was fine because he was still eating so I was happy. The day we were able to leave the hospital was definitely the hardest on me and baby. My milk still hadn't come in and he was getting barely anything at all so of course he got upset and so did I, for that night we gave him formula, because he had to eat. The next day my milk had luckily come in, and all was going good for like a week/week in a half when I got mastitis, we still went strong through all of that and the infection went away. Then it came to the point where he wanted to eat constantly, as in eat on both boobs and want to keep going so I would have to keep switching back in forth for hours and I just didn't have enough for him, thats when we decided to supplement him and give him formula along with breastmilk, and he was doing fine until he started not liking the boob as much but would still take it. The last time I breastfed him he ate for about 10 min. and got irritated and didn't like it anymore. Since that day he has been drinking from a bottle, we still give him formula and I give him what I pump which is not much. I want to try to re-introduce the boob and see what he does, but im afraid of the outcome of him totally not taking it at all. I know there is nothing wrong with formula, its saving our lives right now, but get sad because i would love to still breastfeed but, he is just not staying full enough (either did my husband when he was his age) Has anyone been in/in the same boat and do you have any advice for me?

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I have been in that situation and continued with bottles of formula. What I didn't know then is that the best thing to do is nurse as much as possible. Your supply probably isn't as high as it should be, so the formula will have to be tapered down slowly. But if you nurse before bottles and at every wiggle, you shouldn't have to supplement within two weeks, depending on how much you're pumping now.
But honestly, he's a baby. He only gets to not like the boob and reject it if you let him. The best time to latch a baby that doesn't want to is when they're sleepy, especially if they take a pacifier.
About your husband, I don't think that's relevant. Babies never stay full that long because They have tiny tummies and bm gets digested so quickly. I think a full three ounces can be digested in an hour and a half for a one month old. I read that in an article at the doctor recently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM
If you really want to bf you need to cut the supplementing and get him on the breast as much as possible.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM
7 moms liked this
Alot of little things that led to where you are today.
1. Nipple sheilds are for damaged nipples. Why was one introduced(what trouble was he having, were your nipples indeed damaged)?
2. Babies tummies at birth has the capacity of a marble. You were doing the right thing by switching back and forth, formula wasnt needed.
3. I'm guessing the constant nursing and switching sides was around 3 weeks old (if not was it 6weeks) both are huge growth spurts and its very normal to see the behavior you described. How was diaper count during that time? (6 a day with really wet or poop counting as 2) I suspect diapers were fine and it was a growth spurt.
4. how big are the bottles and how often? How often do you pump and what are you getting for output? Will he latch? And how old is he?
Sounds like misinformation which led to unnecessary supplementation which led to nipple/flow preference
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM
This exactly. My guess is that supplementation was never needed at all.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Alot of little things that led to where you are today.

1. Nipple sheilds are for damaged nipples. Why was one introduced(what trouble was he having, were your nipples indeed damaged)?

2. Babies tummies at birth has the capacity of a marble. You were doing the right thing by switching back and forth, formula wasnt needed.

3. I'm guessing the constant nursing and switching sides was around 3 weeks old (if not was it 6weeks) both are huge growth spurts and its very normal to see the behavior you described. How was diaper count during that time? (6 a day with really wet or poop counting as 2) I suspect diapers were fine and it was a growth spurt.

4. how big are the bottles and how often? How often do you pump and what are you getting for output? Will he latch? And how old is he?

Sounds like misinformation which led to unnecessary supplementation which led to nipple/flow preference

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on kellymom.com. Diaper count is the most accurate indication of what he's getting. You want at least six per day. There is also a related article at kellymom on weaning off supplements. I'm also thinking you'll want to invest in a Supplemental Nursing System. How old is he now?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Quoting cmj33:

So breastfeeding has been a long road for me and my son. In the hospital it was great, he definitely favored one side though.

That's normal and not a problem.

He slowly decided he didn't want to eat unless it was with a shield,

How did that come about? Why was a shield ever introduced? And why do I think a "helpful" hospital staffer needs to be yelled at?

which was fine because he was still eating so I was happy. The day we were able to leave the hospital was definitely the hardest on me and baby. My milk still hadn't come in

It takes up to six days for milk to come in. SInce most new families are kicked out after one or two, it's not surprising your milk wasn't yet in.

and he was getting barely anything at all so of course he got upset and so did I, for that night we gave him formula, because he had to eat. The next day my milk had luckily come in, and all was going good for like a week/week in a half when I got mastitis, we still went strong through all of that and the infection went away. Then it came to the point where he wanted to eat constantly, as in eat on both boobs and want to keep going so I would have to keep switching back in forth for hours

That's newborn normal. Infant cuteness is their self-defense. **grin**

and I just didn't have enough for him, thats when we decided to supplement him and give him formula along with breastmilk, and he was doing fine until he started not liking the boob as much but would still take it.

OK, sounds like you fell into the common trap. Most moms do! As someone else mentioned, see the kellymom.com article about getting baby back to the breast.

The last time I breastfed him he ate for about 10 min. and got irritated and didn't like it anymore. Since that day he has been drinking from a bottle, we still give him formula and I give him what I pump which is not much. I want to try to re-introduce the boob and see what he does, but im afraid of the outcome of him totally not taking it at all. I know there is nothing wrong with formula, its saving our lives right now, but get sad because i would love to still breastfeed but, he is just not staying full enough (either did my husband when he was his age) Has anyone been in/in the same boat and do you have any advice for me?

MANY moms who come to this group have exactly the same problem you do. It's one of the top five problems. And most of them overcome it! So it can be done. JUst depends on how stubborn you feel like being.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Agreed with all the above :)
cmj33
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM
The shield was introduced because of latching problems. I will try again with the breast feeding but if he isn't having it then I'm not going to force him.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I can tell you right now he won't have it. He enjoys the faster flow, the ease, and super full feeling of a bottle. Your supply is probably low too so you'll need to supplement with formula and slowly wean off of those. My suggestion is to buy an sns (supplemental nursing system). Stop all bottles and only supplement at the breast. When I got my son back to the breast at eight weeks it was about three days of nonstop nursing because he didn't get the over stuffed feeling. It's normal. And it's ok for him to be upset about nursing at first. It's new to him and there will be a learning period and adjustment time.

Quoting cmj33:

The shield was introduced because of latching problems. I will try again with the breast feeding but if he isn't having it then I'm not going to force him.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I agree

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I can tell you right now he won't have it. He enjoys the faster flow, the ease, and super full feeling of a bottle. Your supply is probably low too so you'll need to supplement with formula and slowly wean off of those. My suggestion is to buy an sns (supplemental nursing system). Stop all bottles and only supplement at the breast. When I got my son back to the breast at eight weeks it was about three days of nonstop nursing because he didn't get the over stuffed feeling. It's normal. And it's ok for him to be upset about nursing at first. It's new to him and there will be a learning period and adjustment time.

Quoting cmj33:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)