Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

TTC

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:16 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is 20 months old and is still breastfeeding. My husband and I are going to be TTC starting in December I am so excited about this. I have complicated pregnancy's and nursing is not safe for me while pregnant. Should I wean before TTC or after I find out I am expecting? 

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM

From what I understand the risk of bfing during pregnancy comes soley from the nipple stimulation causing contractions later in pregnancy.  If it were me I would to wean until I got a BFP because that means waiting until at least December meaning you'd get a full two + years in : )

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
It would probably be best to start slowly weaning now as it won't be so traumatizing to her if you have to wean suddenly when you get pregnant.
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM

She might not want the milk anymore when you get pregnant anyway.....I've heard of some kiddos suddenly stop on their own if mama gets pregnant while nursing.  Wonder if it makes it taste different?  Anyway, I agree with the slowly start weaning so its not so sudden for her.  And good luck!

lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I have a thin cervix so anytype of contraction no matter when can cause me to loose my child. I get a cerclage placed at 13 weeks and I have complete pelvic rest from the day I find out I am pregnant

Quoting SadieJames:

From what I understand the risk of bfing during pregnancy comes soley from the nipple stimulation causing contractions later in pregnancy.  If it were me I would to wean until I got a BFP because that means waiting until at least December meaning you'd get a full two + years in : )

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I would wean before you get pregnant
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Then in your case weaning is best.  Dropping one feeding a week starting with the one she is least attached to is recommended.  Good luck and baby dust!

Quoting lazycervix:

I have a thin cervix so anytype of contraction no matter when can cause me to loose my child. I get a cerclage placed at 13 weeks and I have complete pelvic rest from the day I find out I am pregnant

Quoting SadieJames:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Wean before you get pregnant because of your history. Count how many feedings she has in a day and then count back that many weeks plus a few to give yourself a cushion... that's when you start weaning. Drop one feeding per week until they are all gone.
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)