Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BF and weight loss

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone!

This is my first thread in the group, so go easy on me.

Have any of you had success with losing weight due to breastfeeding? I have heard that a lot of women drop the baby weight fast from it, but I haven't lost anything. Maybe I'm not eating right or something. And I know that everyone is different. But I'm not getting the same results that I have heard rumors of. 

Have you?

- Jenny

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
With all 3 of my bf babies, I didn't lose any except the initial weight until I stopped nursing them. My dd just turned 25 months and she still bf 3-4 times per day, and I'm just now starting to lose the weight. Some moms are super lucky and lose it within a couple months.

They say (normally) that it took 9 + months to gain the weight and it will take at least that long to lose it.
3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Everyone is different. Most of the weight loss that you will see is in the first few months before your breastmilk supply regulates to baby's needs. After that your weight tends to plateau or even slowly come back if you aren't excercising. Weight loss during breastfeeding relies more on genetics and your physical fitness level before, during, and after pregnancy. Do not diet right now. You need nutrients to keep your supply going. The most important thing is to try and snack healthy, drink LOTS of water, and focus on keeping a good nursing relationship with your LO. How far post partum are you? 

graycalico
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:04 AM
I have to make an effort beyond just breast feeding to lose weight. I have worse cravings the first few months than when pregnant.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Well, with all six pregnancies I LOSE weight. Then I gain it back while nursing. :( I am weird.
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Quoting micheledo:

Well, with all six pregnancies I LOSE weight. Then I gain it back while nursing. :( I am weird.

That's exactly how I do and it's sooooooo frustrating...........wish I could stay super skinny like right in the beginning!!

my808escape
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I am almost 8 months post partum. She was a preemie at 6 weeks early. In the beginning, she struggled to put on weight, but I have always nursed, never formula. She has never been one for large feedings. More like a snacker. And especially once we introduced solids. I still try to eat every few hours and drink plenty of water. I could do better though. I have read before that you burn 20 calories for every ounce you produce. 

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Everyone is different. Most of the weight loss that you will see is in the first few months before your breastmilk supply regulates to baby's needs. After that your weight tends to plateau or even slowly come back if you aren't excercising. Weight loss during breastfeeding relies more on genetics and your physical fitness level before, during, and after pregnancy. Do not diet right now. You need nutrients to keep your supply going. The most important thing is to try and snack healthy, drink LOTS of water, and focus on keeping a good nursing relationship with your LO. How far post partum are you? 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Some women lose, some gain, some stay the same. I did all three over time. Lost all of it in the first six weeks, gained it all back before six months, stayed the same after that.

big_red05
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM
It's important to eat very healthy (nothing processed or prepackaged) and to make sure you eat enough! With my second child I ate a lot but it wasn't healthy this time I eat insanely healthy (nothing gmo lots of lean protein fresh fruits & veggies and healthy fats while laying off white carbs but still eating brown rice and sweet potatoes) and the weight has just fallen off
justone_jen
by Jen on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

My kid is 17 months old and I just hit my pre-pregnancy weight a few months ago. I eat clean, and workout four days per week (3 cardio and strength, 1 cardio only).

We're all different. The weight melts of some, and sticks to others (me). Just relax, eat a healthy, balanced diet, and exercise. Give yourself time. :)

proudmama11212
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I lost everything even a little bit more. I dont exercise or eat healthy but my family has always been skinny so I think genetics has alot to do with it plus I have hypothyroidism
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN