Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

should I space out feedings?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 19 Replies
My LO is 2 1/2 weeks old and has been feeding every 2 hours, which I kno is normal... he has wanted to eat for a good hour and when he is finally done and asleep, its only a half hour from him waking and wanting to eat again. Therefore Im getting no sleep. Should I keep trying to space it out and let him cry? I feel like a bad mom doing that....

Ok thanks ladies, we are co speeping and i guess ill be resting while he nurses. Thanks again!
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
finnbar
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Your milk will dry up overnight! He is just establishing the supply and doing a lot of growing. It seems like all they do is nurse for a few months and then suddenly, it's over.
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this
No. You should feed on demand for the first year. He's only 2 weeks old. He's still regulating your supply. Also his belly is sooooo tiny and breast milk digests fast. Don't let a baby that young cry if they are hungry. Personally I won't let a baby cry for anything. Always try to figure out what is needed or try to comfort. Sleep deprivation comes with being a parent. Try to sleep when baby takes longer breaks. Or (my personal favorite) co-sleep. Co-sleeping has saved my sanity this time around. Ds2 is a night nurser.

That was a rambling response. Sry.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Go smash your clocks! No timing of any kind.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Agree with everyone else.  Never put a BF baby on any kind of schedule. 

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting finnbar:

No. Your milk will dry up overnight! He is just establishing the supply and doing a lot of growing. It seems like all they do is nurse for a few months and then suddenly, it's over.

I agree with everything here EXCEPT for the milk drying up overnight. That's not gonna happen.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Takes a lot longer than overnight for milk to dry up, unless you take estrogen or remove your breasts. However, everything else you say is right on target.

Quoting finnbar:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep! And just go by baby's cues. Its best to.nurse when baby shows signs, like rooting or putting hands in mouth.

Quoting gdiamante:

Go smash your clocks! No timing of any kind.

elzmnsf
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this
And since baby is 2 1/2 weeks now, things are probably about to get more frequent and difficult ... That 3 week growth spurt is coming and it can drive a mom to madness! I suggest you be ready to do nothing but topless bed time for a few days real soon. Someone else can cook and clean. All you will do next week or so is nurse, eat, and hydrate and sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
ALL her milk won't dry up overnight. However, should she start forcing her newborn to go longer between feeds than he needs, there will be a nearly immediate drop in supply.
I have seen breastfeeding relationships tank in a matter of days when the mother won't put the infant to the breast often enough.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting finnbar:

I agree with everything here EXCEPT for the milk drying up overnight. That's not gonna happen.

finnbar
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Her supply can and probably will drop overnight if she keeps interfering with her infants signals to the breast.
Not enough milk leads to weight loss/slow gain and pretty soon supplementing with formula. Every bottle feed equals even less milk she makes. You can go from full milk production to a trickle in no time at all.

Quoting gdiamante:

Takes a lot longer than overnight for milk to dry up, unless you take estrogen or remove your breasts. However, everything else you say is right on target.

Quoting finnbar:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN